Weatherby 6.5 RPM?

The .284 Win is a second rate cartridge for most of the guns that chamber it. The Rebated rim does not support the head against the bolt face as well as a full diameter type cartridge unless the bolt is precisely fitted. Expensive custom guns that mostly only shoot well with one or two bullet weights/types, who needs them? How does it shoot in a Model 70 out of the K-Mart? I think the weak bolt combined with the weak cartridge are why they did not shoot that well when they were new!
Hahahahaha. The .284 Win is one of the most winning cartridges in competitive rifle shooting, mainly in F-Class. It's not a bad cartridge. Winchester developed basically a short magnum cartridge that was ahead of its time. It did what it was meant to do then, equal a 30-06 in a short action. The rebated rim isn't perfect, but it's not horrible by any means. I have an old 700 that's completely factory other than the barrel and it's chambered in .284, and I guarantee it shoots as good as any 9lb deer rifle you have.

Last edited:
I don't understand the comparisons between factory spec'd ammo in a factory spec chamber to handloaded ammo in a custom chamber; those are not apples to apples comparisons.
If I can get a rifle for under $1000 out of the box that shoots factory ammo into 1.5" at 100 yards and some hand loads into half that, why would I ever buy a custom gun?

I've owned two .264s and they never came close to 3200FPS! It took a 40X in 6.5-300 with a 28" BBL to get 3200 true.
With modern powders, not stuff from 1960, a 26" barrel, and with a streamlined 140gr bullet, 3200 isn't out of the question for a .264 Win Mag. Load it up with Retumbo, H1000, RL26, or any other similar burn rate powder and seat the bullets out, so they're not seated halfway into the case, and the 264 will do 3200fps.

If I can get a rifle for under $1000 out of the box that shoots factory ammo into 1.5" at 100 yards and some hand loads into half that, why would I ever buy a custom gun?
3A8FB371-04D8-4408-8669-5047CEE952C4.jpeg

Hahahahaha. The .284 Win is one of the most winning cartridges in competitive rifle shooting, mainly in F-Class. It's not a bad cartridge. Winchester developed a short magnum cartridge that was ahead of its time. It did what it was meant to do then, equal a 30-06 in short action. The rebated rim isn't perfect, but it's not horrible by any means. I have an old 700 that's completely factory other than the barrel and it's chambered in .284, and I guarantee it shoots as good as any 9lb deer rifle you have.
I think that is great, but I know that the .284 nearly killed Winchester and that early .284 Model 70s could not compare, as I said, with out of the box -700s. But you have a Remington 700 with a custom BBL, was it custom mounted and hand lapped? How about we talk out of the box rifles with Farm & Fleet ammo and compare the Win 70/.284 with any M-700 in almost any other caliber under .30? I am not arguing custom rifles with hand loaded ammo which all winning competition guns are, but everyday guns bought in the -mart for under $500 bucks. Heck, I just bought a Rem 700 in .243 with a scope at Gander's going out of business sale for under $330, plus tax and it shoots like a custom rifle right out of the box! 100 grain Core-Loct out of a light sporter weight BBL and under 1.6" groups in the rain and wind last Wednesday at the Beloit Rifle Club with a cheap 3-9 scope!

Because sometimes you don't feel like showing up with the same vanilla flavored ice cream rifle that everybody else has. Every once in a while, you have to add some sprinkles to that vanilla, and that's where the RPM comes in! :)

With modern powders, not stuff from 1960, a 26" barrel, and with a streamlined 140gr bullet, 3200 isn't out of the question for a .264 Win Mag. Load it up with Retumbo, H1000, RL26, or any other similar burn rate powder and seat the bullets out, so they're not seated halfway into the case, and the 264 will do 3200fps.
My Rem 700 will not fit such long cartridges in the magazine and thus they are out of the question! Back in the '60s you were lucky to get 3070 with the 140 grain SMK seated so it will load in the box. I have no doubt that new powders will do amazing things, but with slow burning powders that do not burn out the BBL so fast, it's another story. I like RL-26 in my .300RUM and think it works well. But I have no experience with the rest.

Because sometimes you don't feel like showing up with the same vanilla flavored ice cream rifle that everybody else has. Every once in a while, you have to add some sprinkles to that vanilla, and that's where the RPM comes in! :)
I live on a DV Pension and can not afford to spend money on "sprinkles"! I've also learned that it's not the tool but the user that makes the difference. Way back when I showed up at the long and unk range meets out on the flats east of the strawberry reservoir with a Rem 700 Sendaro and beat most if not all of the guys with $3500.00 custom .50s, I was proud as hell! But I was also a magnanimous winner and did not rub it in, but attributed my success to tens of thousands of rounds sent down range at Army expense over the last 20 plus years!

Yes . . . downloading a big case to get the same performance as a smaller case will always use more powder.

And at equal pressures, to get more velocity you have to burn more powder. Disproportionately more. The square root of powder increase is equal to the new MV.

But at equal pressures, the larger case will always be capable of greater velocity.

Those that want/need the extra velocity can choose the 6.5x300Wby, 26Nosler, 264WM, 6.5 Wby RPM, or choose lesser 6.5 SAAMI cartridges all of the way down to the 6.5 Creedmoor. It's nice to have options. Yess to that!

Brass cost will be surely be higher than the 6.5/06AI, but as a hunter, it wouldn't be the factor that drove me to choose one chamber versus another. And as a SAAMI cartridge, dies will be cheap.

And fireforming 6.5/06AI brass is a PITA, uses powder, primers, bullets, and wears out barrels.

For anybody wanting a cheap 6.5 Wby RPM, just get an old Savage 110, a Northland Criterion 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, and a 6.5 Wby RPM reamer and you're there.
I like this man's thinking!

The 6.5 RPM has more case capacity than a 6.5-06 Ackley. So it will yield higher velocities. The 6.5-06 AI is a good cartridge, but you can't say this is a bad one. It has .264 Win Mag ballistics in a non magnum action without a belt. You will also be able to buy factory ammo, rifles, and components for it without having to fire form or custom order equipment and components. I think it's a great cartridge. It's a step up on the 6.5x284, 6.5 PRC, and 6.5 SAUM.

I think Weatherby is waiting to get their new lightweight rifle, chambered in 6.5 RPM, on the market for a little while. Then I think they'll start building Vanguards in this chambering and offering more for it. I can see other manufacturers picking it up as well. Other than the .264 Winchester and the firebreathing 26 Nosler and 6.5x300 WBY, there's no other commercially available 6.5 at this power level.
I like, no love "Fire breathing Carts"! PS. What is the parent case for the .26 Nosler and how much powder does it hold?

What's so bad about liking factory guns? The Remington Sendaro, Stainless, Fluted, HB-26 goes for about $850 plus shipping and transfer fees, or about 910 out the door. In .300RUM it will run with the big dogs and mine will launch the 190 grain Berger VLDs at 3280 FPS into 3/4" at 100 yards! (For 3-4 out of 5 shots when my palsy is not too bad!) My only accessory is a huge muzzle break added just this year.