Weather conditions for working up loads

Alan Griffith

What are your preferred weather conditions when working up a load? I typically visit weather.com and check the hourly weather condiitons for my area. I can check on the forcasted wind speeds and direction. I always worry about wind. What is the max wind you will do load testing in if it were from, say, 90 degrees?

Big Al

Another thing to consider, I think from now on I am limiting myself to days that are completely overcast. I was testing at 300 yds and my target dot was just dancing around my crosshair from the mirage and the changing light conditions. At times it moved 1" from my intended point of aim, you know thats not good for testing!

Temps in the 45 to 65F is ideal. Days with as little wind as possible. Winter is also nice as air tends to be very still. However, fingers do get cold.

using any temp stable powder is a great idea. this eliminates one headache as seasons change.

Jerry

I'm in East TX, and you can't avoid high temps and humidity 11 months of the year. Early AM all is still, and I can reduce groups on the average by 1/2 by shooting between say 7 and 8:30 AM. By 10, the mirage is starting to cook pretty good at 500m. I can't imagine looking through 1k of mirage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts