Working up loads

Thank you old_Heli_logger & all the others for the interesting reading. This was what I was hoping for, some views of different ways to work up a load.

Mine is both similar to and different from others.
My normal is to load 5 rounds of each powder charge. Keeping the LTO (Length to Ogive) the same on each round. Usually load in .3 or .5 gr increments.
Since I don't have ready access to any range longer than 200 yards, that's the range I shoot.

I fire a 3 round group of each load. The best one's usually show in a 1 gr range or less. I will normally shoot the 'extra' rounds through a chrony to have a very rough idea of velocity.
I then load another 5 rounds of the best range of loads and shoot 3 shot groups of those. Again, shooting the 'extra' round through the chrony.
The chrony shots are just to verify the first test and the second test are within range.
My next step is to choose the best load of the group and play with seating depth if needed. After that, I'll load up 10 -20 rounds and put them through the chrony for the start of a cheat sheet.
When I do get a chance to shoot longer, I'll test for drop and drift on the loads out to 450-500 (furthest I have access to).
About 3 times a year I have a chance to shoot out to 1000 and will take 40-50 rounds out to play all day on that range, testing drops out to distance.

Yes, it's a lot of shooting, but I enjoy both the reloading challenge and the shooting part of it. Not to mention, the more shots I fire through a specific rifle, the better I get with that rifle.

After playing this game for many years I had to come up with a reliable starting point which, by-the-way, also changes over time. My latest method is based on shooting heavier bullets for the larger callibers (-06 to RUM based cases). I normally start with Retumbo because it has produced the most consistency/velocity for heavier bullets in my experience, with little temperature effect. If I can find a Berger hybrid/EOL in the wt needed that always sees to be a good starting option. Seating depth of .010 to .015" off lands. Starting with lower-mid recommended powder charges I fire 5 shot groups going up 0.5 grains with each group. When I get to the load that spreads out on the target I know I am getting close and the next higher load has a good chance of zeroing in. If I can't find an acceptable load before I start having excessive pressure it is time to try another powder or bullet and repeat the process. I can generally hit the mark with Retumbo and will only need to try another powder if I can't get enough velocity to generate the energy needed for specific game/distance. When I find the most consistent load I will adjust the seating depth and powder by .10gr to dial it in as needed. Other starting powders would work fine based on personal preference but in AZ temperature stability is a priority and the Hodgdon extreme powders seem to work best for me.

Out of habit I use 5 shots, this covers me in case it's my fault rather than the load...once I have what I think is the best load, I make a second batch to confirm the result.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.