Water treatment

I also have a lawyer filter. Haven't used it much yet. I have had good luck with a katdyn filter but it is heavier. I don't like iodine tablets much but the chlorine tablets I like better. Honestly I like the lawyer about as good as anything. What I like about it is the fact that it came with 3 different sized collapsible bottles that weigh next to nothing s I don't mind carrying all 3 if need to pack water up hill a ways to my camping and glassing sight. You can also attach it to a bigger bag and filter water over time at camp.

I tried the tablets once. They left a bitter after taste. I have a mini sawyer hook to my water bottle feeder and squeezable systems for water bladder... They don't add weight but just looking for something as good but packs smaller

Check out the geigerrig hydration engine. They sell an quick connect inline filter for the kit so you can drink straight from the bladder. This filter also filters out viruses which many other do not

geigerrig hydration engine looks great I'm just concern with two tubes hanging ..Did it affect you in anyway

geigerrig hydration engine looks great I'm just concern with two tubes hanging ..Did it affect you in anyway
I just used the hand pump to speed up the filtering process. When hiking I just disconnect it and use the bladder with the inline filter still attached. It's a pretty flawless system for backpacking

I used the Platypus Gravityworks 2L for my elk hunt last fall. Quick filtration, easy to filter directly in to a hydration bladder if need be and you can fill all of your water sources plus the 'dirty' or source bag to be filtered once you have room in your other bottles/bladders.

It is lighter than my older Hiker filter and packs smaller. If you have dirty water sources with lots of sediment you may need a pre-filter (a bandana works fine) but otherwise recommend it highly.

Platypus® GravityWorks™ 2.0L Pump-Free Water Filter System

My favorite filter is the MSR sweet water filter. It pumps water at almost three times the rate of any other filter I've come across. It attribute it's speed to the fact that it pumps on both up and down strokes where most do not.

Call me old school, but I pack a 2oz eye dropper bottle with regular old house hold bleach. 3 drops per quart (4 if cloudy)and let stand 30 minutes. I will treats couple gallons and leave in the spike.

Two methods:

1. Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets for the hydration bladder in my pack (The chemical also keeps the tube and mouthpiece relatively free of any bacteria migrating up from the mouthpiece)

2. SteriPen Adventurer UV purifier for bike bottle where I mix my electrolyte drink (Tablets take too long)

I always have the tablets in case the Steripen goes tits up.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Having grown up in Scotland and now living in New Zealand I have always just taken my water straight from mountain streams with no ill effect. So I was wondering what's in the water there in the USA, especally in the mountains that warrants using a filtration system?

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.