WARNE MAXIMA RINGS

LRHWAL

Any input on these in the permanently attached version? They "look" well made and they are priced even better. Could this be an alternative to tactical mounts for a strong mounting system on a hunting rifle?

Thanks.

Wim

They are pretty good rings very strong but make sure that you lapp them before putting your scope in their , I've seen seral scopes badly dented by these rings.

On the other hand if your looking for a rock solid combo to permantly mount a scope look at the Leupold dule dovetail bases and the Burris duel dovetail signature rings , this is a dead nuts strong setup and you can adjust the ring incerts to adjust some MOA. and this setup is aot lighter in weight

Warne quality is a little on the low side. Deffinatly lap warne rings. I bought one pair, they were difficult to lap by the design. They didn't stay on that rifle long and were replaced. They were their TPA ring.(tactical permanent attach)

I would recomend Leoupold PRW rings, if your looking for low cost. They mount easier, but should still be lapped for full contact.

Brownells carries a Tactical Percision HRT and TSR rings. The price looks good but I can't comment on the quallity.

I ordered 2 Warne 20moa bases and was disapointed with the quality. The edges were rough and had a machining burr along there length. This wouldn't allow the base to full contact into the rings dovetail. It kind of rode on that thin turned over burr. I corrected it with a diamond stone and fine file. There finish is not very durable, maybe as good as 99 cent spray paint. When I was done I did have a usable base.

I can tell you that TPS (Tactical Precision Specialties) Rings are as good as they get. I have one set of HRT & two sets of TRS

I can tell you from experience that TPS (Tactical Precision Spystems) Rings are as good as they get. I have one set of HRT Steel & two sets of TSR in 7075. These are Top-O-the line Tactical rings at way less than you would pay for Badger or Leup. Mark 4 and better quality IMHO!!

TPS offers our Servicemen rings for pennies on the dollar, so there stock is often low!! But I can't think of a better reason to have to wait for mine!!

[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand if your looking for a rock solid combo to permantly mount a scope look at the Leupold dule dovetail bases and the Burris duel dovetail signature rings , this is a dead nuts strong setup and you can adjust the ring incerts to adjust some MOA. and this setup is aot lighter in weight

[/ QUOTE ]

I just switched 2 rifles to this setup also. I'm pretty impressed with the setup - though out of 3 sets purchased (Leupold bases and Burris rings with inserts), 1 had a too-loose turning base and had to be returned. Overall both rings and bases appear to be very good quality and I suspect this was a fluke. One thing to be aware of, be sure to get their combo kit of accessory offset inserts. The ones supplied with the rings are only the +/- 0 offset (no offset) ones. For I believe it was $7.99 from Midway you got a set of +/- .0005, .0010 and .0020. It's very handy being able to cleanly and conveniently offset the scope should the mouting holes be off (all 3 of my Rem. 700s were right from the factory.) Keeping the scope close to it's center will help optically but for the serious long range shooters (unfortunately I'm not there yet) I imagine the extra elevation would be extremely helpful. Most of all personally I'm looking forward to never having any ring marks on any future scopes I own. :)
Beartrack

The TPS rings

tsr1ssl.jpg

look like they will do the job, but they are a bit peaked compared to the massive six bolt Burris XTR's (only $40/pair). The XTRs lap easily. I have XTRs on all four of my 50 BMGs. TP gets a geek demerit for their Toilet Paper Strength Security <font color="purple"> TPSS </font> .

Leupold told me not to use their dual dovies on <font color="red"> ANY </font> of my RUMS - they recommended I use the MARK -IV's.
-
Dual_Dovetail_Mounts.gif
Mark_4_Tactical_Mounts.gif

The XTRs below can easily handle any of my big guns mounting any of my ginormous 38 Oz NF scopes.
tacticalring4.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Leupold told me not to use their dual dovies on <font color="red"> ANY </font> of my RUMS - they recommended I use the MARK -IV's.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's interesting. I've always been of the opinion that DD aren't as strong as most think they are but hearing Leupold say not to use them at all on RUMS is surprizing.

That is suprising! I Have had Leup. DD's on my Model 70 .375 H&amp;H Ackley Improved for many years without a problem!

GO figure??

[ QUOTE ]
Thb]TP[/b][/url] gets a geek demerit for their Toilet Paper Strength Security <font color="purple"> TPSS </font> .

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain..., maybe I'm stupid..., but I don't know what you mean by this comment??

That is suprising! I Have had Leup. DD's on my Model 70 .375 H&amp;H Ackley Improved for many years without a problem!

GO figure??

[ QUOTE ]
1 had a too-loose turning base and had to be returned.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have run into that before with this exact setup. I just tighten them back up buy putting the ring over a pefect sized socket clamped in my vise for support and then tap on the ends of the dovetail to slightly bend them closer to the ring if you will. It usually takes very little to tighten them up and the change is undetectable to the eye so you have to trial fit them often to avoid over doing it. I like them to need a 12" extension in my socket to turn them in with lots of Never Sieze on them. I do this all the time on older dovetails that are worn from being turned to much or without proper lube on them.

Leupold recommends the double dovetail configuration on hard kicking applications like magnum revolvers and heavy scopes on lightweight rifles. The only reason I can think of for pushing the Mark 4 stuff is the base has a 1/4 minutes slope built into it and for a true combat tacticle rig they are a little stronger. The weak link is always going to be the puny screws that hold the bases on.

I really like the Leupold bases with the Burris Signature rings in them. The new 30mm rings have 4 torx srews holding the caps on. They are a very solid setup.

burrisringsxt7.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.