WARNE MAXIMA RINGS

I have used the DD rings and bases on several hard kicking rifles and have never seen a failure. Granted the MK4 setup is stronger and I can see why Leupold would push selling them as they cost about 5 times what a DD set would
I've got a few set of the DD ring and bases set up with the Burris rings. One thing I did to make them stronger is tig weld them to the base after they have been installed and straitened. I generaly open all my scope base screw holes to accept the bigger 8-40 screws to help in strength.
One thing I have relized is that any decient scope mounting setup is going to be alot stronger then your scope , su if you drop your rig on its top and you break a scope ring chances are you not gonna need it anyway.

On another note the rings from TPS are actualy very good quality and require minimal lapping , I would put them up against anybody elses ring of the same basic desgine

TP gets a geek demerit for their Toilet Paper Strength Security <font color="purple"> TPSS </font>
[ QUOTE ]

Please explain..., maybe I'm stupid..., but I don't know what you mean by this comment??

[/ QUOTE ]

Right click on an image and you are spammed with Bush League Security SPAM
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
---------------------------
Windows Internet Explorer
Sorry, this page is protected!
OK
</pre><hr />

Did it stop me from hot-linking their images, no - but while doing so I discovered their directory was unprotected and they have massive text images embedded in their images. All bush league amateur moves.

Jon A writes:
&gt;&gt; I've always been of the opinion that DD aren't as strong as most think they are but hearing Leupold say not to use them at all on RUMS is surprizing.

Keep in mind I'm mounting my 38 oz NF scopes.

&gt;&gt;DD's on my Model 70 .375 H&amp;H Ackley Improved for many years without a problem!

He did say you could probably get away with it (as you have). Since I'm wont to drop my gun, I'm probably not a good candidate for a marginal mount.

Hired Gun writes:
<font color="red"> &gt;&gt; The weak link is always going to be the puny screws that hold the bases on.
</font>
Double Amen to that.

JDJones writes:
&gt;&gt;scope base screw holes to accept the bigger 8-40 screws to help in strength.

Kirby doesn't even need to ask anymore, He opens mine up. (If I opened them up I would cost 20x as much for Kirby to fix them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

I also like the Burris Sig with MOA inserts plastic rings. The 30mm doesn't offer as many inserts, but they are a great setup.

All my big bore guns with efficient brakes (a brake actually <font color="purple"> ADDS</font> to the optics stress - while vastly reducing the perceived kick) that mount my 38oz NF scope are now using the Burris XTR mounts. They are cheaper than the TPS (require minimal lapping) and have <font color="purple"> 50% MORE </font> torx bolts (6 in lieu of 4). So I'll take you up on that bet. I'm sure the TPS are fine, but IMAO the XTRs are better and cheaper.

All my long range guns also use NF 40 MOA picatinny bases.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I have relized is that any decient scope mounting setup is going to be alot stronger then your scope

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true for Nightforce Optics
Several 50 BMG owners have reported broken Leupold QRW rings.

QRW_Mounts.gif

Indeed, the NF manual states:
<font color="purple"> Under no circumstances do we recommend the usage of turn instyle rotary/dove tail type ring and base designs, especially those equipped with windage adjustment.</font>

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.