Wanting a creedmoor

Seems odd looking about all the factory offerings of 280 seem to be 1/10 twist while almost all other 7's of similar stature are 1/9 or 9.5. seems 280 is geared for 120-160, may stabilize the 162 eld, not sure... Not thinking it would work for 175's. The 150 eld-x is still a fine ballistic specimen, but would like to be able to stabilize it's big brothers. The only factory option out there different is the REM 700 mountain SS which is showing 1/9.25 twist.... But I'm not sure about Remington lately lots of bad press QC etc. I've heard you can use 280 ammo in 280ai chambers, not sure how ideal that is for accuracy and velocity. Kimber has the hunter model that is 1/9 twist but after holding one the stock feels really flimsy.

Last edited:
I'm voting Tikka, having several myself. They are light and accurate right from the get go, and they're coming out with more offerings now. I can also vouch for their triggers. They have the best out of the box trigger that I've ever used.

Unless your 243 has a slow twist I'd just run that. You're not gaining a whole lot over it with the CM. If you're gonna step up to a LA I'd get a 284 or 6.5x284.

I'm currently limited to factory ammo, much more available with 280, and it seems the Mv is identical or slightly favoring the 280 on factory offerings, also much more affordable. Same with the 6.5x284 factory ammo limited and pricey. I will reload someday I'm sure but not in the market for the initial investment right now.

68w,

Going back to the 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor, Browning offers a hunter style rifle which is both lightweight and right in your price range:

X-Bolt Western Hunter A-TACS AU (Arid/Urban)

I've worked with several of these actions and find that they are accurate as well as being fairly light.

I've heard you can use 280 ammo in 280ai chambers, not sure how ideal that is for accuracy and velocity.

That is the reason behind the Ackley Improved design, you can use factory ammunition to fireform the AI version. Most of us who have lots of experience with the AI chambers will state that the factory loads can be quite accurate when being fireformed in the AI chamber as long as the AI chamber is cut correctly.

However, Nosler loads for the .280 AI because they make the brass(have it made) for that cartridge as well.

Regards.

It looks like it's the same as hell's speed minus the cerakote unless I'm missing something and maybe a couple hundred less

Rich Coyle,

I don't have one in hand right this minute but I seem to remember that it's around 29-30 ounces.

The action is 3-lug with a 60 degree bolt throw.

Regards.

Can anyone tell me from experience if a 1/10 twist 280 can stabilize the 162 gr eld-x? If only the 280 came with a 1/9 and Hornady had factory 162's my decision would be easy. May lean toward the creedmoor.... But then again the MV on the 150 eld-x may make up the BC difference running around 200fps faster than the Creed?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.