Want new rifle. Cannot make decision on brand

rogerstv

I am at a crossroad and cannot choose the correct path. I've been researching, holding, dry firing, reading, etc. Beyond ready to purchase. Caliber is 6.5. Leaning towards the PRC, but may end up with the creedmoor due to commonality. In case I decide to sell, the CM will appeal to more people. I reload. Seeking a bolt action, highly accurate rifle with a raised check piece. $2,000 +/- is budget. Here is my dilemma.......

Local large sporting goods store has a Bergara Premier Long Range on sale in 6.5 CM for $2,099.99. Love it except for the protruding box magazine. Figure it would dig into my back if I ever shoulder carry. Other than that, it appears to be a wonderful firearm. 1 MOA guarantee.

I can purchase a Christensen Mesa Long Range in 6.5 PRC for $1,439.00. 1 MOA guarantee. So, why spend extra on Bergara?

Browning X-bolt Max LR in 6.5 CM for $1,100 and a 6.5 PRC for $1,200. No accuracy guarantee. But with an aftermarket trigger, this rifle should be 1 MOA or better and cost similar to the CA MLR. May be 1 MOA out of box. Seems like I may be taking a chance on quality. Reviews across the board. So, I am leery.

I recently followed a thread asking X-bolt or Tikka. A lot of Tikka lovers replied. Tikka rifles are fairly inexpensive. People love them. Not sure I do. But if truly accurate, I can learn to.

My dilemma lies with the $1,000 +/- difference between these rifles (and others not mentioned e.g. Rem 700) which could/should all shoot 1 MOA or less provided I do my part. Naturally, I am seeking bugholes while on bags at the range. This drives my mind back the Bergara or the Christensen as they guarantee accuracy out of the box. I've missed a couple wonderful opportunities in the LRH classifieds for a Seekins and others where targets are shown and loads will be shared. However, I would enjoy my own load development.

At some point, I will find a gunsmith and build something in the .30 cal family.

What should I do?

Any of those are likely to shoot well with well developed handloads. Any of those also may not meet your standards after load development. Chance you always take with a factory rifle. Same with custom's, but the chance is better that it will meet your accuracy standards. All that being said, which one has the most features you want? And, more importantly, which one feels the best in your hands? That is the one you need to buy and work to achieve the accuracy you are needing. That is also the advantage of factory over custom, you can actually hold it and see how it feels and balances before buying. That and the fact you don't have to wait a year for it.

Bergaras custom shop might be able to build one with a floor plate May also blow the budget. That Sako A7 is hard to beat for the Money but I doubt if any of the ones you listed will beat the premier series Begara. Those things are unreal accurate

Likely a get what you pay for and pay for what you get situation. I handled and dry fired all listed including a Cooper. All except for a Tikka. Bergara felt best to me. Trigger Tech trigger is wonderful. Browning felt good too. Likely #2 of those listed in my mind. The good and bad reviews of Brownings are keeping me from buying one of them today.

However, I can find without much effort a 6.5 PRC in the Browning. The Bergara is not offered in PRC and is discontinued in 2019. I appreciate the test target with the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.