Practice rifle decision

trickytune

I have a Browning a bolt 223 in 1:12" but I have never really liked it. The Howa 223 is on special at the moment and I am looking at one. 1:9" fluted varmint barrel. Was going to go the hogue stock but I quite liked the boyd thumbhole stock. The main thing was barrel length they have 24" and 20" options. The 24 inch felt a bit front heavy and I thought the 20" felt balanced and looked better. It might get used for light hunting but I have a 260 as well. Mainly for trigger time gun so will be used at the range. gun) I am not sure on barrel length for offhand shooting practice. My shooting shoulder is not too good so I can't fire too many rounds with anything before I start flinching. Thus why I want my main practice rifle to be a 223.

I have a Browning a bolt 223 in 1:12" but I have never really liked it. The Howa 223 is on special at the moment and I am looking at one. 1:9" fluted varmint barrel. Was going to go the hogue stock but I quite liked the boyd thumbhole stock. The main thing was barrel length they have 24" and 20" options. The 24 inch felt a bit front heavy and I thought the 20" felt balanced and looked better. It might get used for light hunting but I have a 260 as well. Mainly for trigger time gun so will be used at the range. gun) I am not sure on barrel length for offhand shooting practice. My shooting shoulder is not too good so I can't fire too many rounds with anything before I start flinching. Thus why I want my main practice rifle to be a 223.

for a light recoiling range/practice gun I would purchase a 6mm br with a heavy varmint contour, Get some trigger time with a caliber that is know to shoot small groups.

A 223 'practice rifle' is a great idea. A buddy of mine has Rem700 tactical rifle. It is 1:9 twist with a 20" barrel. With that twist rate, he can shoot the 69grain pills. With the 20" barrel it is an easy handling rifle. If you got a 24" barrel you would lose little in 'handling.' The key is to build the rifle as much like the your 'regular' rifle as possible, so that when you go to shoot it, the transition is seamless.

for a light recoiling range/practice gun I would purchase a 6mm br with a heavy varmint contour, Get some trigger time with a caliber that is know to shoot small groups.

+1

Good ballistics, easy to tune, affordable, and potent enough for mid range hunting and plinking past 1000 yards.

I'd go 223 24". I'd want something closer in length and weight to my bigger rifle. 1/9" twist is good for most 223 bullet weights. 1 personally go 40x .22lr, Rem Milspec .223, 40XC 308 all with 24"

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.