Want budget 338 RUM or 338 Lapua

They shoot well above their cost. Value of $5000 rifle -IF- you get it new or get one that's been treated well. Nice thing bout them is many ppl buy them because they don't go BOOM! They go KA-F*^%#€NG-BOOM and they WANT one. Kinda like when you are smitten by a beautiful woman. At first you have shinny new toy. You buy ammo. You shoot it a bit. Then you realize 9 times out of 10 you are shooting your 2000 yard beast at 300 yards. Then you wake to how much it costs to shoot it regularly so you don't. Then you start shooting your 308 again. The Beast goes in the safe. And then one day you want the next shinny new rifle and the beast goes on gunbroker. The end.
Lol, yep. My wife over heard me talking about it to a buddy so she surprised me with it. It worked out fine, I have three long range facilities with in a half hour of my house that I frequent, but it really does get boring out to a mile with a 285 eld, I find trying to get a 147 eld out there more enjoyable. Lol

NEITHER.. a plain Jane .338wm and the proper bullet will handle anything you can hit with far less pain and expense...
Yep. And at the drag strip, my old beater huntin truck will get me across the finish line every time. And it's way cheaper to operate than the top fuel dragster that crosses the finish line way ahead of me every time.

Lol, yep. My wife over heard me talking about it to a buddy so she surprised me with it. It worked out fine, I have three long range facilities with in a half hour of my house that I frequent, but it really does get boring out to a mile with a 285 eld, I find trying to get a 147 eld out there more enjoyable. Lol
I have my 140 bergers staying supersonic to 1630ish according to the numbers. Those are way more fun than my 300 OR 338 RUM, 338LM or 375CT. Even 1000 with 22-250 8 twist is a hoot. I'm hoping to start shooting my new Surgeon 18" CSR in 300WM and it will be my new best friend for LR.

I always thought that the 338 win mag and the 300 win mag were kinda wimpy
For 30 years they were the go to rounds for everyone for about everything. I still shoot 300WM. Could not tell you how many critters from woodchucks to Moose Ive taken with them.
solid proven rounds. I just bid on a 338WM. Super accurate rounds.

I reload 308, 300 WSM, and 30-378. The first two have definite pill weight limitations. I'm also a 338 Lapua person and I'm not limited to projectile size like the 338 win mag.

The difference of opinions never ends. Like a 30-30 can do everything! Or the 30-06 why would you ever need anything else. I carried the M-14 sniper rifle in the military. I knew it's limitations, I still own 24 inch AR-10 in 308 cal just for the fun of it

822ECB38-95D7-4C38-B7B3-D106410F6C8D.png

They shoot well above their cost. Value of $5000 rifle -IF- you get it new or get one that's been treated well. Nice thing bout them is many ppl buy them because they don't go BOOM! They go KA-F*^%#€NG-BOOM and they WANT one. Kinda like when you are smitten by a beautiful woman. At first you have shinny new toy. You buy ammo. You shoot it a bit. Then you realize 9 times out of 10 you are shooting your 2000 yard beast at 300 yards. Then you wake to how much it costs to shoot it regularly so you don't. Then you start shooting your 308 again. The Beast goes in the safe. And then one day you want the next shinny new rifle and the beast goes on gunbroker. The end.
Thats why I went to a 6.5 PRC & 300PRC...LOL

It's just feeling like I may be getting in over my head by building my first powerful LR rifle at this time. The Mark V action is an excellent one, and I appreciate the offer, but I'm feeling a bit too far out of my element to build an LR shooter rather than buy one somewhat "turn-key" so to speak.

I can machine and build an AR in my sleep, bed stocks, do crown jobs, etc., etc. But here in high power, long range land, well as I said, I'm feeling "over my head" for a scratch build.

Appreciate the help though...

Vettepilot
P.S. I have a lot more posts, and a good many "likes", as "Vettepilot". (Instead of Vettepilot555) I ended up with two profiles 'cause I inadvertently unsubscribed to "Newsletter-Trending Threads." Management said there was nothing they could do to get me my daily LRH e-mails back, so I created this new profile to get them back.

Vettepilot555
From what you said that you can do I think you have the ability to build your own rifle go for it . I think you would get a great deal of satisfaction when you have a rifle that shoots and you built at yourself

Maybe you should take a hit from one and tell us !!
Yes I have friends with 300's and 338 win mags. I just bought custom 30-378 and 338 LM with long barrels and could down load them for accuracy and still shoot 220 +gr 30 cal and 300 gr 338.

Their are people out there that love a 30-30 and don't understand upgrading to a 30-06

Their are people out there that love a 30-30 and don't understand upgrading to a 30-06
Ha! Yeah, I've run into THAT. Often times it's a person that's not all that into guns, (clueless), and thinks the 30-30 is a killer round 'cause that's what their dad, (or grand-dad), used to shoot. And ya can NOT convince them otherwise, so it's best to just smile and say, "Yeah, ok..."

Got myself a new Savage 110 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua Magnum, and outfitted to handload for it. Haven't shot it yet because it's running 120 degrees outside here now, and the mountains we go to for shooting where it's cooler have fire/shooting restrictions.

:~(

Vettepilot

Got myself a new Savage 110 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua Magnum, and outfitted to handload for it. Haven't shot it yet because it's running 120 degrees outside here now, and the mountains we go to for shooting where it's cooler have fire/shooting restrictions.

:~(

Vettepilot
I shoot with three guys that are using these rifles . another guy bought a savage rifle that's in a chassis but only a 24" bbl . these guys do good with them . I think you'll be happy , it's a lot of gun for the price . one guy put a trigger in his . 2 or 3 of the guys changed the brakes . the 24" bbl rifle was just about unshootable , until he changed the brake .