want a great tracking variable....

Rich Coyle

Yesterday a friend asked me to sight in his .300 Magnum. (What a kicker! But I digress.) His scope moved the right amount both times I put in the clicks.

I took my .270 Win to do a cold bore shot at 100 and then today at 200 and then tomorrow at 300. Alas it was about six inches high at 100 so I made some adjustments. To my chagrin it didn't move the clicked amount. My scope is a high magnification model.

I'm looking at getting a scope with great glass that will move the desired amount with a maximum weight of 22 ounces. Lighter is better. Also I would like it to have good low light performance. I'm not "loyal to the mark" as I've heard the phrase used.

Any suggestions?

Howdy Rich. What are you looking to spend max for a scope? Also what zoom do you prefer? What do you want for a recticle? How for do you plan to use it to?

Low setting of no more than5X. Maybe a better way to say it would specify minimum of22 feet. Top magnification of 18X or more. Good low light reticle. Maybe even some elevation lines below center. Range out to 600-700 yards.

I decided on the Leupold VX6 3-18X, for similar use. I didn't get, but prefer the TMOA
reticle.

I'm behind on mounting this one, but the 2-12 works well enough to sell me the 3-18X

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.