Want a canoe, know nothing about them

Hot648

I'd like to get a canoe. Float, camp and fish down smaller, somewhat quick rivers. Possibly some lake use but not likely or often. Some duck hunting but for that it'll mostly just be walked beside and used to keep the kid and decoys in.

What type or style am I looking for? Aluminum, plastic or fiberglass? Will be transported on top of SUV and loaded up there, mostly with little to no help.

Any advice is appreciated.

I'd like to get a canoe. Float, camp and fish down smaller, somewhat quick rivers. Possibly some lake use but not likely or often. Some duck hunting but for that it'll mostly just be walked beside and used to keep the kid and decoys in.

What type or style am I looking for? Aluminum, plastic or fiberglass? Will be transported on top of SUV and loaded up there, mostly with little to no help.

Any advice is appreciated.

I'm assuming aluminum. If so the more rivets…..the better!

Grumman used to be the best…..the rivets almost touched each other. I couldn't afford one …..ended up with a Smokercraft. I don't even know if they're still made. I got it around 1973ish. Still have it, though it hasn't been in the water in years! memtb

I like the Grumman canoes because can be fast in the water. The drawback is noise on the water. Aluminum canoes and airplane floats are loud. Every ripple of water makes noise. I have an Old Town canoe that is made from a stiff ABS. They are quieter, but again not as fast across the water as the Aluminum canoes.

I would defintely look at kayaks.

I've been fishing out of them for about 20 years, along with a little bit of duck hunting.

Being that you sit much lower in the kayak, they are waaaay more stable than a canoe. I've been out in whitecaps on the lakes with my kayaks, never felt like I was in danger of tipping over.

There are lots of different makes/models. If I'm fishing alone, I like the Old Town Dirigo. If my dog is along, a bigger cockpit is needed so it's usually either the Old Town Vapor or our double boat. It's an Old Town, too, but I can't remember the model.

Good luck!

For fun about canoes, read the book by Jack McManus "They shoot canoes don't they"

He has passed on, but his stories will love forever.

As for a canoe, really depends if you are going solo, get a kayak, or if going with a buddy can get canoe. Then, day trip or over night? Duration on river equates to more needed room, and gear so bigger canoe. Also depends on what water depth you will encounter. Small heavily loaded canoes have deeper draft, so shallow gravel runs or creeks will be a pain. Then can you drive to the water or will you port canoe? That is where unit weight comes into effect.

For fun about canoes, read the book by Jack McManus "They shoot canoes don't they"

He has passed on, but his stories will love forever.

As for a canoe, really depends if you are going solo, get a kayak, or if going with a buddy can get canoe. Then, day trip or over night? Duration on river equates to more needed room, and gear so bigger canoe. Also depends on what water depth you will encounter. Small heavily loaded canoes have deeper draft, so shallow gravel runs or creeks will be a pain. Then can you drive to the water or will you port canoe? That is where unit weight comes into effect.
Patrick F McManus was a great humor writer. I have " They shoot canoes don't they" and other books he wrote.

If you get a canoe of even better a Kayak there is a Loading System that you put on your vehicle roof. It has springs and hinges that lets you attach the Kayak or Canoe at the side of your vehicle and then it kind of flips/carries the kayak up to the top of the roof. Makes it very easy for even a young/smaller person to load. I'll try to find that loading system and post it.
There is also simple "Roller" Systems that you put on the top of your vehicle and just put one end of the canoe on it and push to roll to the top of your roof.

If you get a canoe of even better a Kayak there is a Loading System that you put on your vehicle roof. It has springs and hinges that lets you attach the Kayak or Canoe at the side of your vehicle and then it kind of flips/carries the kayak up to the top of the roof. Makes it very easy for even a young/smaller person to load. I'll try to find that loading system and post it.
There is also simple "Roller" Systems that you put on the top of your vehicle and just put one end of the canoe on it and push to roll to the top of your roof.
I have been putting mine on the roof of the Suburban. We're getting rid of the Suburban and I drive a short box pickup, so I have to find a new system to haul the canoe around. It might be time for a kayak that fits in the truck. @Hot648 , that's something else to consider.

OL RED, This is what I use for hauling my canoe. One man operation to load and unload.

T.P.

Attachments

• IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 20
OL RED, This is what I use for hauling my canoe. One man operation to load and unload.

T.P.
I used a similiar setup when I used to do a lot of canoe hunting and fishing in WI. Mine was on a Tacoma and brought it to cab height so it was level going down the road. Two foam blocks on the gunwales for the cab and a ratchet strap over the center. If you are going to carry it a bit or flat water speed is needed then go lightweight. If you're running rivers where you already have current helping a plastic canoe is far more durable. You can beat the hell out of them on rocks with no remorse. At least the one I used you could. It was a 14' waterquest and weighed like 90 lbs but was wide, stable, had dry storage and a flip lid center seat. An awesome duck hunting and fishing rig. My buddy would dive off the bow when it was hot. Never tipped it. Hauled plenty of wet tired labs over the sides too. One time my hunting partner took it down a section of river below the hunting shack at flood stage with his dog to meet me at a beaver pond down stream. He got the nose wedged between a downed tree and a rock and swamped it. It bent the nose of the canoe about 20 degrees and it didn't break. It came back most of the way and had a little curve after that day. Weight was its only drawback.

These are good had one for 50 years now and still in great shape.
Prefer them over smoker craft or any other Ive paddled

I have an Old Town Penobscot that spends most of its time on saw horses now. It is a great canoe, but once I started buying kayaks it really doesn't get used much. I'll still have it for when family and friends want to go to the river. Fishing kayaks have come a long way in recent years. They are comfortable, stable, and generally lighter than canoes.
I have seen one of these in a commercial. It looks to be a great idea, but have not seen one in person. The tailgate extenders work really well for both canoes and long lumber in a pickup.