Walking in and out

IDbound

What light do any of you use to walk into your set without worrying if you are scaring off a nearby coyote? I have seen both red and green head lamps in various videos but can seem to find anything in print.

In general, I hike in the dark without any light while hunting. From what we know about coyote eyes, they can't see red and green light as well but I still wouldn't use any light walking into a stand in the morning. When leaving a stand I would be less hesitant to use even a white light, especially after I've walked a couple hundred yards from my calling location.
Guys in videos also talk and make a lot more noise than you should while calling coyotes. While hunting coyotes not on camera, I'm sure hunters like "Big Al" and others are much more quite. Talking, high fives, fist pumps and things like that make better videos but are not going to help you coyote hunting.

I use this for 'yotes

https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/cr6

The red throws pretty far when I need it to... It has some green diodes too which I really like.

We work around animals a lot at night and have developed a preference for green.

Human eyes are much more sensitive to green light so it takes a lot less power (less light) to see what's going on. Green seems a lot easier on my human eyes for regular use.

I find my depth perception struggles with red. With two lights of similar power, the green will seem brighter and more useful every time, just because our human eyes are more sensitive to those wavelengths.

To the animals, it doesn't seem to make a difference. If anything they are less sensitive to the green simply because we can accomplish the same tasks with green lights of lower intensity

Last edited:
If there is snow on the ground you can see better than you would expect at night, even when there is no moon light. When there is no snow or moon, I feel like I can see where I'm going better in the dark without a light as long as it is "open country". In heavily forested areas, a light can become a necessity. There are many coyote hunters who hunt at night with spotlights and still call in many coyotes, so a light isn't necessarily going to scare them. I just prefer to minimize any noise, exposed movements and scent when calling coyotes.

If you need to, use a small, dim light pointed at the ground where you are stepping and coyotes won't notice. Don't wave a bright light around like a light saber. Some camping/hiking headlamps have a red light that is easier on the eyes and doesn't blind you around the tent/campfire, etc. I hate when people shine their headlamp in my face when they look at me but it's kind of an instinct for the untrained.
Something like the BD Revolt has a hi/low red that turns on without having to cycle thru the white light to turn it on, plus many other bright settings and it is rechargeable in the car.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.co.../revolt-BD620631_cfg.html#q=Headlamps&start=4

His advice is good for any game- keep your light as dim as you can to see where you are walking, and keep it pointed at the ground.
As others have said, try to be as quiet as possible. If they don't hear you coming and look your way, you very well may get in undetected.

What light do any of you use to walk into your set without worrying if you are scaring off a nearby coyote? I have seen both red and green head lamps in various videos but can seem to find anything in print.
I like to go to the sets just as it beginning to get light ! I make as little noise as possible and quietly set up and wait about 10 minutes before turning on my call as I want things to settle down ! be sure you have your scent under control and a face mask ! As far as walking in the dark, its ok if your hunting with lights but you can't see to shoot so wait until you can see your sight before going to your sets !

If I can get away with it I don't use a light but if it is too dark to walk safely my preference is Red. Keep is as dim as you can and on the ground ahead of you. To me, noise and scent are far bigger issues than the light is. I have lit up deer, hogs, yotes, raccoons and bears with Red, Green and White lights while night hunting (it was legal where I was) just to see the effect of the different colors. Even bright white light almost never spooks them unless they are right on top of me.

I never hike in during dark. Me sitting there and them having a chance to smell me before I can see to shoot them is no good in my opinion. I always start walking to the stand so that I get there and can start calling right at shooting light.

I do a lot of spotlighting - I think red and green lights are way over rated. I have so many come running right into shotgun range staring at my white spot light it is silly.

Last edited:
I guess I should have preferenced my initial post by mentioning that I will be hunting with thermal so unless I go in at dusk, I have to rely either on moonlight or now "dim" flashlight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.