Check this out.

Shot this one deer hunting in muzzloader season in souther TN. I've killed 5 or 6 black ones.
02DB77D6-AF40-4C45-9AA5-96F5F295A8BA.jpeg

Shot this one deer hunting in muzzloader season in souther TN. I've killed 5 or 6 black ones. View attachment 172410
That's a nice one. Is that about average size for a coyote in your area ? That's about how big they are here in southwestern Washington, but my buddies back in Pennsylvania have been killing some huge coyotes in the last several years. One guy I know well got a female that weighed 66 pounds, in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains. Others were even bigger, but never got weighed. Some were the size of german shepherd dogs.

There is some speculation that there is timber wolf blood in these 'yotes, from their migration across Canada. The story I got from the Pennsylvania Game Commission is that they originally came from the Dakotas, and since the Great Lakes haven't been freezing over, some went around to the south ( and ended up in your neighborhood ) and some took the northern route and ended up in PA and New York.

I kinda question this, since I spent many years living in Montana where they have both coyotes and wolves. Typically, wolves don't breed coyotes - they EAT them. It's like foxes & coyotes - when the 'yotes move in, the foxes move out - or they get munched on. Do you have a lot of foxes in areas where there are lots of coyotes ?

Never seen that out here. Have fox and coyote near my home. The coyote chase and try to kill,saw yote chase one 1/4 mile across field,fast got away. I shot a cross fox with lots black in it

That's a nice one. Is that about average size for a coyote in your area ? That's about how big they are here in southwestern Washington, but my buddies back in Pennsylvania have been killing some huge coyotes in the last several years. One guy I know well got a female that weighed 66 pounds, in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains. Others were even bigger, but never got weighed. Some were the size of german shepherd dogs.

There is some speculation that there is timber wolf blood in these 'yotes, from their migration across Canada. The story I got from the Pennsylvania Game Commission is that they originally came from the Dakotas, and since the Great Lakes haven't been freezing over, some went around to the south ( and ended up in your neighborhood ) and some took the northern route and ended up in PA and New York.

I kinda question this, since I spent many years living in Montana where they have both coyotes and wolves. Typically, wolves don't breed coyotes - they EAT them. It's like foxes & coyotes - when the 'yotes move in, the foxes move out - or they get munched on. Do you have a lot of foxes in areas where there are lots of coyotes ?
I've killed ones a lot bigger than this one. I kept my first black coyote and made a rug similar to my black bear. The others I sell the hides. $75-150 for a black one.

every year I have pictures of them in my food plots. I have killed 5 or 6 solid black ones from one farm and they are still around. I have a couple other farms I hunt and I've never seen a black coyote at any of my other locations

I've seen photos from NW GA of two black coyotes that were killed by a young man I taught to mouth call.
Never have seen a black one in WY/Co/TX/NM/MT.
I did call in an absolutely beautiful, prime, peach colored coyote one time in E central WY.
I mean, it was gorgeous fur.
Ranchers son blasted it with his .30-40 Krag 220 RN.....destroyed it.....
Still wish I had that one stretched.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.