Check this out.

Ohlongarm

I occasionally set a snare for coyotes,but hunting them with rifles or calling is really what I enjoy most.Imagine my shock when, I caught this well furred male ,BLACK coyote. Sold him real quick for a cool 50$. Buys ammo.
blacky.jpg

They are not that rare in regions from eastern Texas piney woods across the Southern states to Georgia.
I have called in seven total 3 in Texas and 4 in Mississippi.

I've seen a few in lower AL (picture below) and in FL. Missed one in 2017 deer hunting. Had a small window to shoot between pines while he was running. Shot felt good but I didn't hear a hit. Searched for him for an hour with no sign. I was more sick with missing him than I am when I miss a good buck!
DDFBE885-BAB6-4198-A872-C77211B8E0D2.jpeg

I occasionally set a snare for coyotes,but hunting them with rifles or calling is really what I enjoy most.Imagine my shock when, I caught this well furred male ,BLACK coyote. Sold him real quick for a cool 50$. Buys ammo.View attachment 171968
I have seen only one black coyote like this, and it was in northwestern Minnesota. We were hunting deer, and my buddy Todd shot the coyote. It had the reddish colored legs like a regular grey coyote, but the rest was black with a dusting of grey hairs sprinkled throughout. Nobody we talked with about it had ever seen or heard of a black coyote. This one you got is the only other one I've ever heard of.

Black yotes are pretty common in the southern states. Always cool to get one though, no matter where you're from.

There are melanistic color phases of many animals, and they seem to be more prevalent in some areas of the country. For example, in the Allegheny Mountains of western Pennsylvania, about a third of the grey squirrels are black in color. In the city parks in Toronto, most of them are black. In some southern states, the fox squirrel has a black color phase. This is almost unheard of in the northeast. Look at black bears - in the east, almost all are black, and a brown one is considered an oddity. In the Rockies, many are different colors, ranging from blonde to cinnamon. Where I hunted deer, in Sothern Oregon, about half the bears are a color other than black. I have to wonder if the black bear is really a brown animal, and the black ones are a melanistic color phase that is more common in heavily forested regions. Where I live, in the northwest, the "color-phase" bears come mostly from the Cascades. Along the coast, they are mostly black. Up into coastal Canada & Alaska, brown ones are not common at all.

I know of the melanistic phases of animals but have just always assumed if was from the inbreeding with the domestic dogs that people have abandoned. I guess it comes from the pictures that get circulated when someone gets something special. I've seen some cool colors like blonde and mark coyotes. Here's a pic of one of the last ones to come my way. It's out of SC supposedly.

Attachments

• C67C294B-8487-4BF0-80A0-F329431E6110.jpeg
    C67C294B-8487-4BF0-80A0-F329431E6110.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 178
Such a beautiful coat! It'd be cool to have someone make something useful out of the hide.

I know of the melanistic phases of animals but have just always assumed if was from the inbreeding with the domestic dogs that people have abandoned. I guess it comes from the pictures that get circulated when someone gets something special. I've seen some cool colors like blonde and mark coyotes. Here's a pic of one of the last ones to come my way. It's out of SC supposedly.

That one definitely looks like its mama got mixed up with a german shepherd or a doberman. It even has the little tan dots over its eyes. I don't know what that color pattern is called in domestic dogs, but it's present in a lot of the german breeds- even the little weiner dogs sometimes have it. Maybe that was Colonel Klink's coyote ………..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.