First time out this year

Korhil78

Finally got some free time to go calling down here in SW New Mexico. Grabbed the caller and my 6.5 Grendel and set out. I got set up about 200 yards from an irrigated field for cattle to eat on. It is a very large field and I have found that coyotes do not like to run across these because there is very little cover for them and plus most of these coyotes get educated by the rancher shooting at them when they have been caught out in the open. I have never been able to call a coyote in to an open field like this in this area. If you set up to try to call them across the field, they will just run the edge of the field so that they can stay in the brushy area. So they either wind you or you never see them. So I decided to try setting up about 200 yards off the edge of the field where they would feel more comfortable running to. It worked very well. The wind was blowing about 15 mph and I set up with the wind blowing from my left to my right. I turned the caller onto lightning jack and about 5 minutes into the stand, a coyote came in on a dead run. He got to about 50 yards from the caller and I put a 123 gr AMAX from my 6.5 Grendel AR into him...DRT! I decided to let the caller keep going to see if I could get another one to come in since it was windy. I cranked up the volume and about 3 minutes later, I saw some tan fur glinting in the sun as a coyote popped out of some brush and into view. He stopped at about 75 yards and I flattened him. Good start!

I set up on a second stand a little farther down but sat for 15 minutes and nothing came in so I moved on.

My third and last stand was by an old dry dirt tank. I set up and started calling with lightning jack again. About 400 yards out, I could see a small dust trail as this coyote was in high gear coming towards me! As he got about 100 yards out, he didn't feel comfortable and peeled off to the left of me to try to get the wind. I barked at him and he stopped facing me. Again the 123 AMAX flattened him! After the shot, I could hear other coyotes yipping and howling from where he had come from. I decided to put on a dying rabbit plus a coyote growling sound like the coyote was attacking the rabbit. Not even 5 minutes later, here come another coyote! He would not stop so I had to shoot him on the run but again, the 123 gr AMAX ANCHORED him.

4 coyotes in 1.5 hours. Some of the best yote calling I have done!

IMG_2578.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.