Waddya mean gas guns dont shoot?

Yup. Build them right and they shoot tight! I have an EC tuner brake, but never needed to take it off zero setting.
IMG_6470.jpeg
IMG_6503.jpeg

Last edited:
Not in the same league as you guys, but not too far off…my cheapy DPMS (223) using 55 grain Hornady SP and CFE223 with its thin barrel only shoots 3/4" groups but heats up quickly. I did change the trigger to a Rock River target model.
Even my Ruger Mini-14 synthetic Ranch will do 5/8" 3 shot groups with 55 grain Remington ahead of Varget, but it is bedded and had trigger work.
No reason any gas semi auto can't be made to work, or we all just got lucky! Hmm…I'll take luck any day I can get it!
Both of mine work for minute of coyote. LOL!
I forgot that both are threaded with YHM suppressor adapters which may work like a tuner changing the harmonics.

... its thin barrel only shoots 3/4" groups but heats up quickly.
Did you ever consider getting the barrel cryogenically treated?

I once did that to a 24" long pencil Romanian PSL barrel that shot great ... until warm, then the shots would drift up and to the right. Sent it out to CryoFreeze, got is back, shot it until 'warm', then mag dumped 3 magazines (10-rounds each) through it as fast as I could regain a good sight picture and the group never wandered! Regretfully, someone offered me stupid $$ for it, like > twice what I paid for it, so I sold it ... but alas, it was only a range toy anyway.

Back to the topic - A good friend has a lowly Stag AR10 that shoots sub-MOA using that used-to-be-cheap Federal Power Shok 150grn SP 308s. Not bad for an inexpensive hunting round!

Sure, they shoot. Some shoot very accurately. My only problem with auto loaders is the trashing of my precious brass. I still love them, but struggle with serious brass and load prep when observing the aftermath after a range session.
I've built several of these. Your biggest challanges will be gas control and cyclic timing. Consider a JP high pressure bcg and bolt with the small diameter firing pin. This should help eliminate pierced primers. It usually involves lots of testing to tune properly. Once you get these under control, you can work with brass preferences. Next comes your trigger and trigger control. Take your time.

Some folks say that AR10s don't shoot. I beg to differ. Mine shoot .25 or so routinely.

Want proof? Attached is a video from Eric Cortina demonstrating accuracy on his AR10. (No, I don't get $$ from him).

Still think gas guns don't shoot???

Even back in the 90's when so many were switching from the M14/M1A platforms and to the AR platforms for NM shooting, we saw numerous gas guns that could do excellent things. Today, I own several AR platforms that shoot much better than numerous commercial bolt guns, and my 24" Varmint/Target 223 in 1/8" twist shoots exceptionally well. Similar with my 20" HBAR NM stainless build.

I switched to Craddock Precision uppers for the majority of my gas guns. I mate them up with lowers I assemble so I get the trigger and oversize controls I want. I found it cheaper than going out and buying complete custom or very highend AR platforms. Most of the uppers have shot right at 1/2 MOA and none have shot worse than 3/4 MOA.

26" 8 twist WOA shooting an 80 AMAX with Lapua brass, 24.? Gr Varget and a CCI 450. Speed is right at 2900. This is 5 shots on steel at 425y. That's my index finger. AR's are PLENTY accurate. Using a VLD magazine so 2.450" OAL is easy. Brass doesn't get chewed up at all. OSS (HUXWRX now) can and +2 gas length and SA adjustable gas block. Tuning it takes a bit, but once it's dialed…No "poof" of gas in the face with the above system either. Brass lands in a nice pile about 6' away at 3 o'clock.

Attachments

• IMG_3004.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 67