VX5HD 3-15x44 vs Razor LH 3-15x42

I have a VX5HD with CDS and I am blown away with the quality of glass. I've had a Zeiss rifle scope, Leica binos and spotting scope and a Swarovski rifle scope. I believe that this VX5HD is every bit as good as these German optics. I've been reading that a few people have had problems with the CDS scopes not tracking properly and returning to zero. I went out today in 15*F weather and dialed to 100 yards and shot and dialed to 375 yards and shot and dialed to 535 yards and shot. The scope performed flawlessly. I am very impressed with the VX5HD.

I also have the 3-15 vx5hd with the windplex and love it! I only wish it came with illumination option on all the reticles. That said though the glass is outstanding and it has been a much better scope on my 270ss than the Zeiss hd5 that it replaced.

For those of you not familiar with the VX5/6 series, the big downfall of these scopes is the short main tube length. If you run a rail it's not an issue, but for any applications where one piece rings like Talley are used, it becomes an issue with a long action. Talley does have an "extended" option for most actions that does work. Rings like Hawkins Hybrid rings do not work with the VX6 and a long action. I think the main tube on the VX6HD 3-18x50 is 5.3". The VX5HD3-15x44 I believe is 5.4" if my memory is corrrect, and might work with Hawkins rings depending on the action used.

For those of you not familiar with the VX5/6 series, the big downfall of these scopes is the short main tube length. If you run a rail it's not an issue, but for any applications where one piece rings like Talley are used, it becomes an issue with a long action. Talley does have an "extended" option for most actions that does work. Rings like Hawkins Hybrid rings do not work with the VX6 and a long action. I think the main tube on the VX6HD 3-18x50 is 5.3". The VX5HD3-15x44 I believe is 5.4" if my memory is corrrect, and might work with Hawkins rings depending on the action used.
That's great information for anyone looking into these optics! I'm running a short action, so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

I forgot about that... my 270ss is a rem 700 short action and I used the Talley extended bases and had no problem but i ordered both extended and standard to figure it out.

That's great information for anyone looking into these optics! I'm running a short action, so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

I forgot about that... my 270ss is a rem 700 short action and I used the Talley extended bases and had no problem but i ordered both extended and standard to figure it out.

I'm curious how the position of the scope is for you guys with short actions? I used to run the VX6 on my Borden Timberline Long action with extended Talley rings, and although the scope fit in the rings, the position of the scope was too far forward on the rifle and uncomfortable. I made it work for about a year until I got tired of leaning into the rifle to get set up for a shot. I switched to a rail when I upgraded to the VX6HD. So I traded some weight to make the scope work, which sucks when you are counting ounces on a lightweight build

Adding to my list of potential options... they're a bit over my weight limit but still curious how they stack up with the other options.
* Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44
* Sig Whiskey 5 3-15x44

I am also looking at both of these scopes and if I do git one it will be going on my 300wm, so is there a big differents in the glass in the two. They would be used at last light and for targits to 500yds-700yds

I am also looking at both of these scopes and if I do git one it will be going on my 300wm, so is there a big differents in the glass in the two. They would be used at last light and for targits to 500yds-700yds
I have the 6hd and the Vortex LH scope. Both are excellent glass to my eyes but the Leupy will be better at last light. The Vortex reticle is pretty small and difficult to see at low light.

I just bought one of these Razor HD LH 3-15x42 for a little CZ 527 Varmint 17 Rem. but I won't get the scope till this coming week. Cabelas has them on sale for $599 which seemed like a decent price. Hopefully it works well on the little CZ but only time will tell. I'll know more in a few days and I'm curious to see how it compares to the Zeiss HD5 and non HD VX6 I have.

I received my Razor HD LH 3-15x42 today. Really haven't had a chance to do much with it yet but I did a little comparing to the Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 and (non HD) VX6 3-18x50 I have and for now, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with this new Vortex Razor HD LH. Clarity seemed about on par with all three but the Razor seemed noticeably brighter than the HD5 and VX6 which was a little surprising. I'll know more once they are all three mounted to guns and I can spend some time with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.