VX3 1.5-5x20 vs VX6 1-6x24

NWmissouriman

Does anyone have experience comparing these two scopes? I'm trying to determine if the VX6 is worth the extra $400.

It will most likely be going on a Marlin lever gun in 45-70 for black bear hunting. The main question is, will the VX6 draw in considerably more light? I know the VX6 will let a little more in because the objective is bigger, but it's not THAT much bigger. Most of the shots where we hunt are less than 20 yards, but some can be out to 50ish. Most would say just use the open sights (which might be what happens), but if a scope is going to be bought, it will most likely be one of these two or a simple reflex sight.

The timber is thick where we hunt and it seems to get dark fairly quickly, that's why the light gathering capability is the most important factor. Thanks for any and all input.

I could be entirely mistaken because I'm not actually looking at the specs for either of those scopes, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong... But that extra money is going towards the minimum magnification most likely. The 1.5 will take more time to get on target and you probably will not be able to shoot with both eyes open. You'd almost be better off with a nice red dot over that for a "reflex" sight IMHO. Now if that VX6 is a "true" 1 magnification you should be able to shoot both eyes open and the reflex of it should be rather quick, and you get the perk of the 6 mag. for further shots. Just for the record, I think a red dot on a lever gun is a sin, I was just making a point. Also, I put "true" in quotations because no scope has a true 1 magnification. It might be **** close, but it will never have the same reflex as a high end red dot.

I've had a few VX3 1.5-5x, and have mostly been disappointed with it's low light capability.

I haven't used the VX6 1-6x, but I have the 1-4x European with a 30mm tube and it's definitely a step up. Not readily available any more.

I have a reflex on a 96/44, and I like it, but it was cheaper, and I not sure spending the money to get what I really want is worth it.

It's likely to get the 2.5x Leupold Ultra light. I think the downside to the VX6 and a lever gun is the more weight we add, the farther we seem to get from why we're packing a lever gun.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on the light gathering ability. I'd consider something with a bigger objective, but even a 2.5x scope I'm afraid will be too much low end 99% of the time. I'm not a big fan of open sights, but it might be the only viable option.

I have a vx-6 1-6 on my rigby and when sitting on my bear bait stand I can see the bait looong after legal shooting light. its quite adequate IMO

That's the kind of answer I'm looking for Mike haha. You haven't by chance had the opportunity to match it up with the vx3 model have you? It just seems wise to spend the money elsewhere unless it's necessary.

I have not but I am fully confident Harpers analysis is spot on. He hunts some dark stuff chasing bears so I think his test area is optimal. My opinion is yes its worth the extra$ at least thats the conclusion I came to when having this same debate 6 months ago. and if you buy the vx-3 and dont like it itll be hard to sell because of the limited market so itll end up costing more in the end

I have not but I am fully confident Harpers analysis is spot on. He hunts some dark stuff chasing bears so I think his test area is optimal. My opinion is yes its worth the extra$ at least thats the conclusion I came to when having this same debate 6 months ago. and if you buy the vx-3 and dont like it itll be hard to sell because of the limited market so itll end up costing more in the end

Very good points. I appreciate your input and in the big picture, the price difference isn't huge. Money is money, but over the course of a lifetime a few hundred bucks more would probably be money well spent.

A couple of thoughts, being as we're talking Leupolds and it's somewhat apples to apples.

They produce scopes of various quality. I just bought a rifle that came with a VX1 2-7X compared side by side with VX2, VX3, and Mark 4, not only are tube sizes, objective lenses in different sizes, coatings are a factor as well. That sentence represents all I know about coatings, maybe someone else will kick in. In the basement with lights very low picking different targets, quality of the image improved with each grade of scope.

Which reticle you choose matters. Eye relief especially how it changes when you increase magnification, field of view, and the kind of mounts you choose will effect how the scope works for you.

A couple of years ago coyote calling we were in one of those narrow draws that gets dark fast as the sun goes down. A bobcat came in the back, 2 coyotes in the front. I waited until the bobcat was down, but the shot kicked the coyotes in gear. The route one chose through the brush left it visible much of the time, it also stopped in range.
I could track the coyote with both eyes, but I could not find it in the VX3 1.5-5X. The rifle now has a VX3 2.5-8X that I'm confident I could have seen well enough to shoot. I have a Mark 4 2.5-8x as well and its better still.

A couple of years ago coyote calling we were in one of those narrow draws that gets dark fast as the sun goes down. A bobcat came in the back, 2 coyotes in the front. I waited until the bobcat was down, but the shot kicked the coyotes in gear. The route one chose through the brush left it visible much of the time, it also stopped in range.
I could track the coyote with both eyes, but I could not find it in the VX3 1.5-5X. The rifle now has a VX3 2.5-8X that I'm confident I could have seen well enough to shoot. I have a Mark 4 2.5-8x as well and its better still.

I've had at one time a Leupold Rifleman, VX-2, VX-3 Handgun, VX-3, and VX-3L 6.5-20. The lowest powered of those being the 2.5-8x32 handgun version. I didn't have it long enough to remember how good/poor the glass was. I'm betting that the bigger objective on your 2.5-8 would have drawn in just enough extra light for you to be able to make the shot, based off of what you're saying. That's good to know, because it leads me to believe that I would be somewhat disappointed in the lowlight performance of the VX3 1.5-5. Based on what Mike said, I think the VX6 will work fine. The VX3 2.5-8 would probably be good for the lowlight performance because of the bigger objective, but I think 2.5x would still be too much magnification for 15-20 yards. I appreciate your reply, it helps push me towards the VX6. I despise getting something and being disappointed and many times you just don't know until you've tried it.

I despise getting something and being disappointed and many times you just don't know until you've tried it.

Optics are tough to sort out these days. Given the price of the most useful, mistakes are painful.

Then trying to match it to a particular firearm, adds balance and feel issues you don't know until its on there either.

I believe long run you'll be happier with the V6, let us know how it comes out.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.