VX2 or Vortex Viper ?

Gmountain

Guys, I need some help. I am really driving myself crazy with this.

I have $400 to spend. Maybe $420. I'm going to spend it at Bass Pro, because it's accumulated gift certificates.

I want to get a scope. I don't have a gun yet. I plan to get a bolt action, maybe a .223 or 7mm-08, but most likely something around .223. I'll be using it for target shooting.

My scope choices are a Vortex Viper HST 6.5-20x44 30mm tube

or Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 30mm tube

or Leupold VX2 4-12x40 LR Duplex Adjustable Objective 1"tube

or Leupold VX2 3-9x40 LR Duplex 1" tube

Which do you all think? I really have no idea.

I'm running a Vortex 6-18x44 in a 1" tube. For me it's a very good set up out to 500 yards so far. Nice and clear, once it's sighted in lock it down and it never changes.

Go with a Vortex. They are equal or better than Leupolds for half the cost. If you're in the $420 range I'd go with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. The other Vortex scopes you've mentioned are a little out of your price range and the Leupolds aren't worth it. If your going to shoot targets, a 3-9x will be tough to see your .223 holes with at farther ranges. Hope this helps!

at the gun show in Reno and asked several Gunsmiths that offer package deals Rifle and Scope why they don't offer Vortex Scopes...............common reply was . " Got Tired of Sending them in for Repair"

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.