Vortex vs. Leupold for long range shooting, need advice

I shoot 1,000 yds. with (6mm Norma BR.) my Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with a "Vortex Custom Turret". The turret is dead nuts accurate. :)

Custom Turret Systems | Affordable Custom Turret Labels These only cost about $25.00.

joseph

Vortex made it for me with the drop chart info I gave them. Those custom stick on turrets work just as good and only $25.00.

joseph

PS: Here is the first target I shot with the new turret at 400 yards to see if I hit the paper.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=564977&highlight=testing+custom+turret

Attachments

• 400 yd. target .jpg
    400 yd. target .jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 66
Do some more reading on the vortex ,people are pretty fed up with them needing the warranty way too often . I have owned plenty of them both but prefer leupold in the end.

What people? How many out of the total number of Vortex owners? Facts please, not conjecture and hearsay.

I have three Vortex scopes and have availed myself of the unconditional warranty once. Why? Because I dropped my rifle onto a concrete floor. It landed on the elevation turret and bent the central piller. Vortex replaced the scope without question.

They'll always be at the top of my list when looking for a new scope.

Cheers

My opinion on a couple items...

One, Leupold has been around for more years than I care to count and they are (for the most part assembled right here in this country, especially their higher end optics.

Vortex isn't. The lower end optics are Chinese the higher end oprics are Phillipene in orign. That might not be all bad, depending on your patriotic views.

Two, when you return a Leupold for service or custom shop work, it's done in Stevensville, in their shop, same with warranty work.

Vortex has no shop to speak of. Vortex Optics is a distributor so when you return a scope, it's replaced with another, which should tell you the inherent mark up/profit margin on scopes in general. Their 'custom shop' work is done by contractors, not them.

Both have basically identical warranties, but keep in mind that the 'Lifetime transferrable warranty' is customer driven, not maker driven. Customers demanded an iron clad warranty and manufacturers/distributors delivered. Not that they wanted to. They had to because Leupold initiated that policy and everyone had to follow. If they didn't, at least on moderate to high priced optics, they would have been 'out of business'.....

The cost of that warranty, whether it's a repair (in the case of a Leupold) or a replacement (in the case of a Vortex, is built into the initial purchase price which is the main reason optics are so expensive.

Things to ponder. I have both, Leupold and Vortex as well as NightForce and US Optics and at least in my view, any optic is only as good as the eyeball thats looking in the ocular and no better.

You get what you pay for b ut always keep in mind, when you groan about the price that, that price encompasses returns. In essence, you pay for the chance that you scope might have to go back, whether it does or not.

My opinion on a couple items...

One, Leupold has been around for more years than I care to count and they are (for the most part assembled right here in this country, especially their higher end optics.

Vortex isn't. The lower end optics are Chinese the higher end oprics are Phillipene in orign. That might not be all bad, depending on your patriotic views.

Two, when you return a Leupold for service or custom shop work, it's done in Stevensville, in their shop, same with warranty work.

Vortex has no shop to speak of. Vortex Optics is a distributor so when you return a scope, it's replaced with another, which should tell you the inherent mark up/profit margin on scopes in general. Their 'custom shop' work is done by contractors, not them.

Both have basically identical warranties, but keep in mind that the 'Lifetime transferrable warranty' is customer driven, not maker driven. Customers demanded an iron clad warranty and manufacturers/distributors delivered. Not that they wanted to. They had to because Leupold initiated that policy and everyone had to follow. If they didn't, at least on moderate to high priced optics, they would have been 'out of business'.....

The cost of that warranty, whether it's a repair (in the case of a Leupold) or a replacement (in the case of a Vortex, is built into the initial purchase price which is the main reason optics are so expensive.

Things to ponder. I have both, Leupold and Vortex as well as NightForce and US Optics and at least in my view, any optic is only as good as the eyeball thats looking in the ocular and no better.

You get what you pay for b ut always keep in mind, when you groan about the price that, that price encompasses returns. In essence, you pay for the chance that you scope might have to go back, whether it does or not.

Dude, we get it, you dont like Vortex. However, I am pretty sure you are wrong on just about everything you say about them.

1. high end Philippines? Wrong it is Japan.
2. No capability to fix scopes? Wrong again. I have had to two reticle changes on FFP scopes and have one buddy that dropped his gun on the concrete and slightly bent his turret. They put a new turret on and sent it back at no charge,same serial number.

I bent the front bell of my Leupold and they didn't do jack for me. With a Vortex I'd have a new scope.
Now I have Zeiss, Weaver, Bushnell, Burris and Vortex.
I really don't care where they are made. My Dodge pickup isn't even made in the USA. My Honda Pilot has more USA parts than a Chevy Tahoe. Who knows where Leupold buys their parts.
And everyone here is tapping on a keyboard and looking at a screen made in China.
Big screen TV? Smart phone?
It's just the way it is now, like it or not. I don't, but I'm beginning to get over it.
I don't think buying a Leupold instead of a Vortex will save the USA from financial ruin.
It's too late. lightbulb gun)

FFP or SFP?

Thanks everybody for all the advice! I'm thinking I want to try a Vortex so my next question would be which focal plane is best, first or second? I understand the difference between the two but honestly have no idea how it would translate to my shooting. It may be just an issue of preference, curious what you all think on this topic.

Thanks!
Jon Parbst

I would really look hard at the hslr 4x16x50 with xlr reticle in ffp
It has an awesome reticle that allows you to hold over with exact aiming points to 1000 or dial if you have the need.
I run one on one of my lapuas and love it

Re: FFP or SFP?

Thanks everybody for all the advice! I'm thinking I want to try a Vortex so my next question would be which focal plane is best, first or second? I understand the difference between the two but honestly have no idea how it would translate to my shooting. It may be just an issue of preference, curious what you all think on this topic.

Thanks!
Jon Parbst

There really is not a blanket "best" answer. I will say very few people buy FFP and wish they had bought SFP, but quite a few people buy SFP and wish they had gone FFP.

I have a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA with a custom turret and very glad that I got the FFP. Once you get used to it which should take you about 10 minutes you will love it also. Don't forget that with the FFP that when you increase the power the reticule "AND" your intended target enlarges the same amount. Don't believe that the enlarged reticule will cover up your target since the target enlarges the same amount.

joseph

PS: Once I was able to read the wind better I was able to shoot a 3+1/4" five shot group at 1,000 yds. with the above scope.
which I must add is the smallest group I have shot. Here is the 1,000 yd. target that I shot the second time I ever shot at that distance. The group sizes and scores are in the lower right. Three 5 shot groups were shot and a perfect score for a group is 50 points. Not to bad for my hunting rifle I had built for antelope.

Attachments

• 1000 yd target .JPG
    1000 yd target .JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 67
  • vortex scope .jpg
    vortex scope .jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 91
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.