Vortex Viper HSLR zero issues with elevation knob

kvw4x4

Installed my Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24x50 FPP on a new weatherby vanguard. I used the recommended Talley 30mm weatherby vanguard Med 740734 scope

rings. I set it up and got it to zero in really good at 200 yards. My issues is that I seemed to adjust the Elevation adjustment knob pretty high up to get it set good with my barrel ( zero at 200 yards) From this point I can only adjust elevation up about 12 MOA and then I have maxed my elevation knob out. So my max adjustment would let me shoot out to 650 yards. Which is ok for now but I would like to know if I need some other type of scope rings or if it is adjustable. I'm not great with all the terminology. I had a buddy help me out but he doesn't use vortex scopes. Thanks!!

Attached is pictures of the scope and how it's mounted and how the elevation knob is set sighted in to 200 yards.

Attachments

• 2724ADA3-4EB4-492E-B4F5-A73D56F4E965.jpeg
    2724ADA3-4EB4-492E-B4F5-A73D56F4E965.jpeg
    988.2 KB · Views: 340
  • 5BB55001-0AD7-425C-9D5C-0696DB3D7291.jpeg
    5BB55001-0AD7-425C-9D5C-0696DB3D7291.jpeg
    661.9 KB · Views: 244
You're zero is at baseline 5 and you only have one full revolution left (to baseline 6). Ok this isn't a scope issue, it's how you have it mounted. Not really a problem, just annoying because you need to change to rings/mount to add some moa back into it. I know Talley makes 20 moa rings for Remington but have no idea about Vanguard/Howa action. You may have to change manufactures, maybe add a rail and then rings. Unfortunately that also means forking out more money.

20MOA in a rail Could also switch to burris signature series zee rings and new mounts (if you want to stay with 2-piece mount) and get 2x 20moa eccentrics. Set them up in opposition to each other to get 40MOA total returned to you. That'll drop the elevation turret to the #1 baseline giving you something near 50MOA of up left. That should be enough to get you near or beyond the supersonic limit. A 20MOA rail and 20MOA in the rings will have the same effect but a 1-piece rail does make it a lot tighter getting fingers into the loading port. I personally prefer the Burris Signature Series rings as the eccentrics in them are polymer and help prevent damage to the scope finish, no lapping required.

+1 on the Burris sig. rings. One thing you can try first is switching the rings you have now front one on the back- back one on the front.

+1 on the Burris sig. rings. One thing you can try first is switching the rings you have now front one on the back- back one on the front.

The front and back rings are specific to front and back. The one is more flat bottom then the other.

20MOA in a rail Could also switch to burris signature series zee rings and new mounts (if you want to stay with 2-piece mount) and get 2x 20moa eccentrics. Set them up in opposition to each other to get 40MOA total returned to you. That'll drop the elevation turret to the #1 baseline giving you something near 50MOA of up left. That should be enough to get you near or beyond the supersonic limit. A 20MOA rail and 20MOA in the rings will have the same effect but a 1-piece rail does make it a lot tighter getting fingers into the loading port. I personally prefer the Burris Signature Series rings as the eccentrics in them are polymer and help prevent damage to the scope finish, no lapping required.

If I have too I prefer to skip the pic rail look. Where can I find the 2 piece regular scope mounts you suggest? Thanks

If I have too I prefer to skip the pic rail look. Where can I find the 2 piece regular scope mounts you suggest? Thanks
If you go with two piece mounts,I'm almost positive the Remington mounts will work. The one piece mounts have a different hole spacing,but two piece should work. You can cross reference with the Weaver chart to be sure.

You're zero is at baseline 5 and you only have one full revolution left (to baseline 6). Ok this isn't a scope issue, it's how you have it mounted. Not really a problem, just annoying because you need to change to rings/mount to add some moa back into it. I know Talley makes 20 moa rings for Remington but have no idea about Vanguard/Howa action. You may have to change manufactures, maybe add a rail and then rings. Unfortunately that also means forking out more money.

You can buy a Remington 20 moa rail that mounts right onto Mark V, vanguard and Howa actions....and they are only $78.00 in Canada....so you should be able to get one for about 60 cents in the U.S. of A....(okay..maybe 12 bucks!)

With 40 moa he may have to have a zero at 300 to 350 though I would think... just so he knows!

Rings look to be about 4" apart. If you put a full size .022 brass or aluminum shim under the rear mount you will create exactly the same thing as a two piece 20 MOA set of rings. Just be sure to lap the rings in so you get a nice transition onto the rear edge of the front ring.

With 40 moa he may have to have a zero at 300 to 350 though I would think... just so he knows!
looks like he's about 66 minutes up right now so he'd have 20moa below his current zero. However when you change the base and rings you really have to start over. I'd start with 20moa and if it's still up at the 4th rotation line then drop another 20 in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.