Elevation issue with viper hs-t 6-24x50

Thanks for all the help! I may bed it at some point, but for right now since I had no binding issues I'm gonna leave it as is. And go shoot it. I only got like 30 rounds through it and it shot good, but I bet it will shoot better without an out of whack base.what do you think about "plastigauge" as a way to check for fit. Its normally used in engine work to check bearing clearances.

Thanks for all the help! I may bed it at some point, but for right now since I had no binding issues I'm gonna leave it as is. And go shoot it. I only got like 30 rounds through it and it shot good, but I bet it will shoot better without an out of whack base.what do you think about "plastigauge" as a way to check for fit. Its normally used in engine work to check bearing clearances.

You've been provided with a sound advice IMHO; what you do with it is entirely up to you.

Yes, I have and I appreciate yall passing on the knowledge. I hope to one day be able to pass on experience to others

...what do you think about "plastigauge" as a way to check for fit. Its normally used in engine work to check bearing clearances.
I haven't used plastigauge before - good tip. It looks like it would work well for inspecting the base fit and determining the shim thickness if a shim is needed. I'll get some and try it.

Good work finding the problem. In the pictures of both the mounted scope and just the base, I almost guess that the base was not a 20MOA. I use 20moa on my guns and there is a pretty clear tilt to the front, where your scope was essentially parallel with the receiver. Not an issue anymore, get out and shoot.

When your goal is to shoot long range you might as well be ready to spend a lot more money that you initially anticipate. While the rifle and scope are the heart of your pursuit you have other things you'll need as well. The first part, which you personally experienced, is buy and use quality components. Next you need to be thinking about a chronograph, a ballistics program as well as a decent spotter.

And, if you're not handloading, you might look into it. To get true, long-range capable ammo you'll essentially be prepping brass, seating the primer, dropping the powder and seating the bullet using benchrest techniques and the required tools; no small investment.

Find a copy of, The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy: Getting the Most Out of Your Equipment and Yourself, by Glen Newick. It's a MUST read for anyone contemplating precision shooting.

Yeah, I definitely learned that in this hobby you get what you pay for. Larue base is waaaay better. I also have a hogue stock with bedding block that took a lot of work to get it fitting properly, but now that it fits it is great. I recently bedded the front portion of the action and lightened up the trigger to 3.1lbs.
Haven't shot it since the trigger work or bedding, but here's my 2 best groups. I have been shooting 5 shot groups, but i didn't want to mess up the 3 shot group so I left it at 3. Lots of 5 shot groups with holes touching but all about an inch overall. I would love to get into reloading, and will soon. But right now I'm in process of changing from a retail sales job to a plant operator job so I don't want to put myself in a bind between paychecks.

These groups are with federal fusion 130 gr.

Attachments

• _20150623_093946.jpg
    _20150623_093946.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20150619_111309.jpg
    IMG_20150619_111309.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.