Vortex Viper HS 6-24X50 good choice?

Engineering101

I'm fixin to buy a Vortex Viper HS 6-24X50. MSPR is $689 but they can be had for less. This is going on my soon to arrive Savage Model 12 VLP in 270 WSM. It will be used for medium big game in everything from dark timber to the wide open plains.

Things in the optics business have been changing fast lately so, before I put my money down, I thought I'd ask if anyone can suggest a better bang for the buck alternative? Thanks.

I'm sure its a good scope for the money, but I would fork out the 60-70 extra bucks and get the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 . I have the 4-16x-50mm pst and like it. It has the external adjustment knobs for elevation and windage.

pikeman

I knew I should have said it but I already have the PST and may in fact put it on this rifle on those occasions when I want exposed turrets. Most of the time I'll want the covered turrets however thus this purchase of the HS. The PST is a great scope though. I love the clicks on the turrets - so nice. Thanks for the input.

pikeman

I knew I should have said it but I already have the PST and may in fact put it on this rifle on those occasions when I want exposed turrets. Most of the time I'll want the covered turrets however thus this purchase of the HS. The PST is a great scope though. I love the clicks on the turrets - so nice. Thanks for the input.

I know you said you wanted covered turrets...and I'm a bit of a broken record.....but you can get one heck of a deal on a HS-T open box at CamerlandNY. You'd have exposed turrets....but also a zero stop. They have the demo listed at $499.99 . With their "Moving Sale" mentioned to them you get an additional 10%.....so it would be $449.99. I think that's an amazingly low price.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhs-t6-24x50

I apologize if I've wasted your time.....but can't help spreading the news on the deals. I picked up a FFP 6-24x PST at a heck of a price...saved about $300 over the normal street price. I'm trying to spread the news so others can benefit in the wallet department.

Wayne

nice price thanks for the info. I was looking at that scope just deciding on 4-16 or the 6 -24

Got to a local store and get your hands on them at high power and take them outside if you can and look at something far away. I found the higher powers above 18x lost too much clarity for the extra money it cost. Stuck to the 4-16. For dark timber, I would recommend a power optic combination of 3x40 or 4x44 or 5x50.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.