Vortex viper hs lr 6-24x50 with xlr reticle

I have a 4-16 HSLR on a 30-06 and shoot out to 800 yards on a regular basis. I knew the XLR was a busy reticle when I purchased it but after a year and a half and a open mind it works well. I dial when necessary and hold off for wind so the capped windage knob is great as it does not poke you in the wrist when hand carrying the rifle and slides into a scabbard pretty good. I think they are a decent scope for the price point both the 4-16 and 6-24. I'm building a 300 WM and am thinking of putting the 6-24 on it.

running the 6-24 on my creedmoor and have ran it out to 1200 with no problems. Love the reticle for when I don't have time to dial and I always hold wind.

I have been running an hs lr 4-16 with xlr on one of my lapuas with a 20 moa SMR base and pmr rings and so far out to 1000 I have been really pleased. I used the 4-16 to make the most compact package I could.
The more I use the xlr and 2b reticles from vortex the more they grow on me. I am really digging them.

Jordan@406

I have the 6-24 on my 300 WSM. I have ran it out too 1200 yards and am really happy with the scope. It is not to heavy or overly bulky considering its capabilities. I really like the 24 moa per turn on elevation turret. The only possible thing I could see being an issue is the fact that the reticule is so fine that it may be hard to see in dark timber in low light at low power. Obviously that is not a primary use of this scope but should be noted. I am ordering another one.

I have two 6-24 hs lr ffp scopes with the xlr and really like them. One is on a 6.5 wsm, and the other on a 7wsm. Both of these rifles are custom guns that are used to pound the idaho backcountry. The overall quality and versatility of this scope for hunting is unmatched by any other in its price range IMO.

We'll I picked one up and I have to say I'm pretty pleased. Ran it out to 1k on football size rocks. Thinkin about putting one on my 7mm now.

The XLR reticle has caught my attention also. What are peoples thoughts on the 1/2MOA adjustment on the elevation? I also noticed that in the vortex optics reticle diagram that the number beside the MOA correction in the reticle looks small. I havent looked through one of these in person I was curious if the numbers were well visible along the vertical hold.

I run the 4-16 FFP on my 6.5x284, and will buy another for the next build for certain. The reticle pattern is easy to read at high magnification. Some folks take a look thru it and say the reticle is "too busy". Bullpucky. When working long shots, having that "busy" grid makes correcting your own errors much easier (ever mess up a wind call?) when shooting a braked rifle. I use the same rifle stalking in brush- and when you dial a FFP scope down to the lower magnification setting all that "clutter" is imperceptible, giving you a simple sight picture for snap shots when they present themselves. The side parallax adjustment works well if you know how to run it correctly. There is an excellent article on this website that explains in layman's terms all you need to know. The distance markings on that knob are only general guides- rest the gun on something solid, and turn the knob from infinity back down until there is no apparent movement of reticle against target, don't look at the knob itself until after the shot or you may start to doubt yourself. Great tool at a reasonable price, and if you ever need it, the warranty is bulletproof.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.