vortex viper 6.5-20x50 vs leupold cds 4.5-14x40

tack driver

Has anyone used the this viper long rang and how dose it do? I'm thinkin about getting one for my remington 700 vls. But the hard part is tryin to justify taking off a 600 dollar leupold cds for a 279 dollar viper. The viper sounds more like what I am wanting to do witch is long range bench rest. Any help or input from you guys or what you guys would do would be helpfull. I am looking to be shooting 1000yd +

Well if it helps out any it is actually a $500 scope ,but we are changing a few things on them for next year so we are discontinuing some of the current models. So that is why they are marked down. They still will have our life time fully transferable "if you are not happy we are not happy" warranty. They are great scopes and for the money they are hard to beat.

Scott

Scott,

Can you expand on the changes? I had gotten a Viper on a trade deal and was very impressed with the glass- more so than my Leupy VX-iii. I was thinking about getting one of the 6.5-20x50 target dot models with turrets to replace a 4.5-14 LRT model that I was not happy with. Come to think of it, all of my Leupys are that way anymore.

I have been using the Vortex Vipers on some rifles for a few years now. I was happy with them even when I paid $500 plus for them. So when Vortex ran this sale I have purchased 4 of the 6x20x44's.( What a steal!!) Two for friends rifles and two for my self. I love the dot reticle for gopher and Prairie dogs and have been dialing these scopes up and down with steller results. Typically I am using them for 500 yards and under but have taken a few longer pokes. No, they are not the scope my Nightforce NXS's are I have on my long range rifles, but I will take a Viper to any Leupold any day. In owning several Vipers for at least 3 years, I can say I have never had a failure. I can not say that about Leupold.

I too have a PST on order and I am anxious. But I will wait as I feel I owe it to a company that has provided me a very affordable option for some of my rifles and never sold me a lemon.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Jeff....gun)gun)

Last edited:
I just bit the bullet and purchased a viper from liberty optics with mil dot reticle to tide me over till the PST's come out (SIGH) anyway I really like the scope but havent used it yet for long range, still working loads. I am shooting it on a 338-378 so it is getting tested for recoil and tuffness but seems to be holding up really well (if I can figure out how to keep it from sliding in the rings :-(

Thanks everyone so fare for the info. Hey elk stalker whats rings are you having problems with and are they lapped?

Try to lap them the kit is some what cheap and its easy to do. Its well worth it maybe clamping on part of the scope causing it to to move. Just my 2 cents hope it helps

Yep I will try that next, problem is that I live in a real small twn and have to order everything in, its funny anytime you mention longerange around here the gun store dealers look at you with a blank face, if the lottery people would call me I would open up the most awesum gun store catering to long range shooting, anyway going to try alittle rosin inside the rings first

Not tryin to hijack the thread but, i might be able to help...

Elkstalker, if you find lapping doesn't stop your scope from sliding, you may try going with picatinny base(if you don't already have one) and 1.5-2 sets of rings or possibly 1 set with a larger surface/clamping area such as Nightforce, MK4, Burris XTR etc.(lapped as well). The "uber magnums" such as your Weatherby with brakes are very hard on scopes & mounts as during the recoil process as the rifle moves both backwards & forwards. IIRC, Kirby Allen aka FiftyDriver was talking about this in a recent thread, it would be a worth while read.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.