Vortex Viper 4-12x40 Scope Review By Troy Adams

I own a 6.5-20x50 viper vortex. I really liked the optics (other than at full power), but seemed clear and bright. Problem, I have now had two of them that won't hold zero( 8 months apart). Me and the gun smith tried everything to get good grouping with my 26" barreled AR-15 (5-6" at 100 yds)...... but everything seemed to fail. SO, two days ago we threw a Nikon Monarch on, (for testing) and now I have 1/2 " grouping at 100 yds, and 1 - 1 1/4 at 200 yds.

Customer service from them was great, exchanged the scope with very few questions ...... but I think they may have some quality control issues.

I have this same scope and like it very much except that it's been back for repairs 2 times. The elevation adjustment keeps going out. Customer service for sure is great but the facts are that this is the only scope that I have had to use customer service. The scope is now not used because I have no confidence in it.
Regards, Keith

I am looking at purchasing a Vortex Viper HS Long Rifle 4x16-50 with the Dead Hold reticle for my Weatherby 300 Magnum with a 180 grain Accubond bullet. I will be using it during the limited entry elk hunt on the Fillmore Pahvaunt hunt here in Utah. The guide service has told me most shots will be in the 300-800 yard shot range. I have a concern that with the Dead Hold reticle it might be hard to see the hash marks in low light conditions. I will hopefully be using the turret but in case of a quick shot I may need to focus on the hash marks. Any comments on this scope in general and on the Dead Hold reticle would be appreciated.
I have the vortex crossfire2 3-9-40 dead hold bdc, and i think you will not have problems. I hunt with it and have no problems with the reticle in low light conditions

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.