Viper PST,anyone?

Just read through the entire thread. I wouldn't worry about it much Jon A. Don't let it get to you. Everyone is right in their observations that Al is closed-minded. You have elitist everywhere and he seems to be the type. Yes, the big boys like Nightforce and Schmidt and Bender make top of the line in rifle scope optics. If you got the bucks, then go for it.

My brother buys top of the line optics. He's rich. I'm not. I spend around $500 max when it comes to optics. He'll spend $2000. Same when it comes to rifles. His $1600 Weatherby 30-378 vs my $600 Weatherby Vanguard 300wsm. Guess what??? We both shoot nice deer and elk. We both have sub-moa rifles that are accurate out to 1000 yards. I make it a point with him to use mid-priced optics and rifles. He just thinks I'm cheap. I see it as an opportunity to buy somethingh else with the extra cash I saved. Like my reloading equipment. To each his own. I still think my brother is a great guy.

I agree with Al on one thing. Make sure the clicks are accurate and repeatable. Absolutely crucial in the 'long range' game. That's why I buy Bushnell 4200's. They have a solid reputation from other users and I can afford them. I'm more interested in this aspect when it comes to the new Viper PST. Let me know how yours holds up Jon. I just bought some Viper 10x42 binoculars and want to match it up to one of the Viper scopes. The glass is great. So is there warranty.

Unlike Al, I liked your review. That's why we are here in the first place. To help each other out. It's nice to get info from actual users. I am waiting for the new Viper HS scopes. The extra eye relief is all that was missing from the old model. I'm sure it will be similar to the PST's. Sadly, non of the Vortex's will be real enough for Al. Remember, he picked one up but has never used one and knows enough to de-bunk your review. What was his expert advice? Oh ya, "Clunky". WHATEVER!!! His loss. Vortex is getting better all the time. I just hope they don't get too expensive like Leupold has over the years. I can't afford them anymore.

Sorry guys for getting on Al. People like him just have a way of getting under my skin. Kind of like chigger's. :D

I agree with Al on one thing. Make sure the clicks are accurate and repeatable. Absolutely crucial in the 'long range' game. ...I'm more interested in this aspect when it comes to the new Viper PST
But that's what's funny. If you look at my original 4-16 REVIEW, you'll see just how far ahead of them I was. And how subsequently there was no need to beat the dead horse--simple confirmation the new scopes were calibrated correctly was sufficient.

I would call Vortex Scopes many things, but clunky isn't it. They seem to be well thought out and made. Good value too. My shop just got in a new PST. I like it. Wish I had an open rifle to put it on.

Last edited:
My new replacement Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with all the updates was at my door this morning. I also bought the "Switchview Throw Lever" and the "30mm Bubble Level". I'll try to mount it today and sight it in tomorrow. Oops I almost for got that I have to install the custom turret and the zero stop.

I turned the turrets and they are definitely better than the first one.

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

That's why I like the guy sp6x6. He's a very unselfish person. I use his 5th wheel, boat, quads, etc.... I even offer to carry his Swaro spotting scope when we're hunting together, just so I get to use it. :D Maybe someday he'll get tired of it and give it too his poor little brother. :rolleyes:

Nice to see some of you are receiving your scopes. Maybe I'll opt for a PST if I can't wait for the Viper HS. Let us know how they shoot.

My new replacement Vortex 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope with all the updates was at my door this morning. I also bought the "Switchview Throw Lever" and the "30mm Bubble Level". I'll try to mount it today and sight it in tomorrow. Oops I almost for got that I have to install the custom turret and the zero stop.

I turned the turrets and they are definitely better than the first one.

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

Here is a short update with pics:

Took my new Vortex PST out to the farm. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts