Vertical turret test, am I doing it right?

Jeffrthehunter

Just got done completing my first turret adjustment test and wanted to share it with you guys to see if you had any suggestions.

7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold VX6 scope zeroed at 100 yards. Made this test at the 100 yard range where my Sig 2200 gave me a reading of 99 yards.
After I stapled up the paper target I used a construction level and drew a vertical black line through the red marker.
Shot three rounds holding at center of red with scope dialed at zero. I then dialed scope up 18 moa and fired three more while still holding on red marker.
Went through this firing sequence one more time to check consistency. I have calculated that 18 moa at 100 yards should give me a distance of 18.846" between groups. I measured to the center of lower and upper groups and recorded 19.5"on test 1 and 20.00" on test two.
The surprising thing was the position right to left was perfect. Did I complete the test correctly and just got lucky that my scope is on vertical axis (I was very careful to make sure scope level was perfect while shooting) or did i not complete the test correctly. I really figured I would be to one side or the other.
Is the error on the distance between groups of any concern? I would think that if I record all my drop data and adjust velocity to my programs that shooting at long range will be fine, any thoughts on that?
Thanks Jeff from Oregon
Vertical turret test.jpg

Normally I draw a box with my groups. That way you test your elevation and windage adjustments. Say starting at 0, shooting a group, going up 20 MOA, shoot group, over 20 MOA, shoot group, then down 20 MOA and shoot group. Doing it
This way also verifies your scope is returning to 0 accurately. I usually do this twice and compare the two. If you use butcher paper you can overlay the two and get a really good idea of how they match up together.

Judging by the group sizes, I would be content with the adjustments on your scope. Ive done this with a feather lite barrel during summer and each shot would rise about 1/2" because it would heat up so much during 3 shot groups.

Good luck!

Normally I draw a box with my groups. That way you test your elevation and windage adjustments. Say starting at 0, shooting a group, going up 20 MOA, shoot group, over 20 MOA, shoot group, then down 20 MOA and shoot group. Doing it
This way also verifies your scope is returning to 0 accurately. I usually do this twice and compare the two. If you use butcher paper you can overlay the two and get a really good idea of how they match up together.

Judging by the group sizes, I would be content with the adjustments on your scope. Ive done this with a feather lite barrel during summer and each shot would rise about 1/2" because it would heat up so much during 3 shot groups.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input! I was aware of the box test but at this time I was mainly checking to see if I had the scope and scope level mounted correctly. So far I have used the reticle for all side/wind adjustments.

It sounds, and looks, like you're doing the test correctly. With the distance spanned being more than you calculated, that could be because you are actually closer than 100 yds. It looks goood.

Looks like its right to me.

The last couple times I have done a test I decided to start with the lower target dot. That way I can't just line up the vertical crosshair with the line. I draw the line on after, its a double check to see if my level is right on the rifle.

The last couple times I have done a test I decided to start with the lower target dot. That way I can't just line up the vertical crosshair with the line. I draw the line on after, its a double check to see if my level is right on the rifle.
Ya that makes sense. I noticed that with the scope level it was in perfect alignment to the plumb line, this kinda told me the scope and scope level were pretty close.

This is a great idea. I am going to try it next time I head out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.