Am I on the right path? 7mm build.

lee264

I just ordered a 8.5 twist 7mm Brux fluted Remington varmint contour I'm thinking I'll have the smith finish it at 24 inches. I'm looking at a Orgin,Stiller or Mack Bros action. I keep thinking a orgin because of the medium length option. Stock either a Grayboe Phoenix,AG composite or Manners. Im wanting around a 10lbs hunting/steel shooting rifle that will shoot 168-180 grain bullets around 2900-2950fps with good accuracy. I keep coming back to the 7mm SAUM. I know brass can be hard to find at times. But so is brass for many of my other rifles and when it's available I try to buy 300-500 pieces at a time. Thoughts?

In my experience you're gunna be running a pretty hot load to get 2900- 2950 with a 180 and a 24". 162-168 not a problem. My 24" bartlein likes 180's around 2775-2800 which is a bit slower than most people run them but I think most are over pressure. I'm also using h4350 which isn't gunna get the highest velocities but it shoots the tightest. Mines on an origin long action. I think you will love the rifle and the 7 saum. Recoil is not much greater then my 6.5 creedmoor and much less than my 300 prc. I find it to have a great balance as you're also finding. That being said my next barrel will more than likely be a 7-6.5prc also known as the 7prcw. It's nearly the same as the saum and brass is everywhere and it shoots according to Erik cortina haha.

Keep looking for brass as you build your components for the build and you MIGHT have some within the time frame to get the other components. Or build the the 7-6.5prc/7prcw

I just ordered a 8.5 twist 7mm Brux fluted Remington varmint contour I'm thinking I'll have the smith finish it at 24 inches. I'm looking at a Orgin,Stiller or Mack Bros action. I keep thinking a orgin because of the medium length option. Stock either a Grayboe Phoenix,AG composite or Manners. Im wanting around a 10lbs hunting/steel shooting rifle that will shoot 168-180 grain bullets around 2900-2950fps with good accuracy. I keep coming back to the 7mm SAUM. I know brass can be hard to find at times. But so is brass for many of my other rifles and when it's available I try to buy 300-500 pieces at a time. Thoughts?
I think the 7mm SAUM fits exactly what you're wanting. 180's @ 2900-2950✔️
Highly Accurate & Easy to load ✔️
8.5 Twist will work for it ✔️
Use a Long Action for sure if not then like a XM medium type action ✔️
Brass isn't that hard to find...ADG will make a run soon and grab 300 or so ✔️
Use a .190 to .200 freebore. That will still give you room to shoot a long time. The SAAMI neck dimensions is fine for ADG brass or any other brass ✔️
Attached is a SAAMI reamer print and my reamer print.

Attachments

• JGS 7mm SAUM .190 FB Reamer Spc.pdf
    332.2 KB · Views: 99
  • SAAMI 7MM SAUM.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 83
I'd go 8 twist in case you ever think about monos. I'd dial that barrel back to #3 or #4 to be anywhere near 10lbs.

Before I built a 7 RM, I'd gut check 280 ai, 7 SAUM, 7 SS and 7 PRC. They are all slightly different.

I'd go 8 twist in case you ever think about monos. I'd dial that barrel back to #3 or #4 to be anywhere near 10lbs.

Before I built a 7 RM, I'd gut check 280 ai, 7 SAUM, 7 SS and 7 PRC. They are all slightly different.
I agree on the poundage for sure. I just now read the Varmint Contour. wow that will be heavy. I'd go #4 then if it's still heavy get him to flute it for ya.

World economy has me a tad bit scared, and we are due a hard down turn. For this reason, I go 7 Mag, 280, and 280 AI...brass will never be a problem. Std 280, I am shooting the 160s at 2930 with a smidge of IMR 7828 with federal 210's with 180g ELD-m at 2700.

2900-2950 with 180 grain bullets and out of a short action is going to be overpressure. My guess is that even running it long out of a medium action it's still going to be slightly overpressure. If I had to hit those numbers I'd build a 7mm PRC on a long action and hope that Lapua or ADG decides to start making brass for it.