Velocities

chad

Took my 280 in to have fluted and chambered in 280ai and while fluting the he went through the barrel, now I have a new shilen barrel being put on. What length should I go with? 25" or 26"? What kind of velocities should I expect with 140 grain bullets?

26" is the only way to fly for the .280 AI. :D

Velocities should be around 150fps slower than whatever a 7mm RemMag lists for the same bullet weight.

But buy a chronograph if you don't have one, if you want to make accurate drop-charts, because going by a manual there are too many determining factors that will change the outcome of YOUR rifle's speed vs the ones they used to test the manual and give THEIR velocities.

I recommend the MagnetoSpeed V2 or V3.

I am no expert on the 280 AI. Even though longer isn't always better, in your case the longer barrel is what I'd recommend. It's not a ridiculously long barrel.
I'd also concur with the chrono. recommendation and as the owner of a MagnetoSpeed V2 or V3, I'd endorse that suggestion also. But, unless you're shopping for a used one, get the V3 - it's got some nicer features.

Originally Posted by WildRose
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
That's cruel. But having experience with both, it's difficult to deny.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.