Varmints 223 1/8 twist

Nomad

Open country varmints sage rats and rockchucks can shoot out past
500yard with 223 because of the country. The bullets are from 60-75gr
mag length for one is an AR the other bolt mag fed.

223 Remington

Are Rock Chucks as big as our eastern Ground Hog's. If they are then I think a 223 is a bit light for any shots over 300 yards. I hunt Ground Hog's with my Rock River AR in 223 Remington. Any shot over 275 yards I deliver a double tap. If I do not do a doulble tap I have some crawl offs. I do shoot a 50 grain V-Max. You might extend your range with the bigger bullet a little. But I definitely think 500 yards and farther is too far for the 223 Remington. But not a 22-250. Tom.

Agree with Hogghead, under conditions he states, e.g., Eastern groundhogs.

Personally, I use a 223 close range, less than 200 yards. At a greater distance, I use a better distance shooter... 22-250, 243 or 25-06, depending on what I have with me. My 223 is good for 300 yards, but not great. I've never even tried it more than about 270... and that one was a hole diver (with blood trail).

I have a 22-250 with an 8 twist that I had throated for the 75 grain A-maxes in hopes of making the 500 yard club.. intended target species.. groundhogs. Results? Several hits, not many kills, lack of bullet expansion... super accurate... REMEDY: Built a 243 Ackley improved shooting the 70 grain Sierra BLitzking at 3850fps... very accurate--- shoots .75" at 325 yards...lots of hits, kills and unbelievable shots.... made it into the 500 yard club with the 243AI. I hope this helps you... If I had it to do over, I would have skipped the 8 twist and gone straight to the 243AI. Sam

Barrel

Sam I wish I had read your post before they shipped my new Krieger barrel. I ordered it for my new 22-250 build. The barrel is 1in8 for the 75 grain A-Maxes. Tom.

I've had no problem getting lethal expansion from the 75gr A-Max on grounhogs.

I normally shoot them at 3,670 ft/sec from my 22-243AI but I still get DRT kills out to 1,000 yds. When I hit them, anyway. :>)

I'd have to go back and check what the impact velocity is at that range.

Someday i hope to get off my butt and make a 22-06 1-8 twist 27 " tube !

My savage 223 with 75 gr Amax and 1-9 twist 26" tube works way good but some 1-9s just wont stabilize this bullet , think i got lucky.

I just love how my 223 out performes the 300 win mag in all but kill factor. Its kill p-dogs easy at 650 yards, past that i cant say.

Last edited:
My little .223 workes great out to 500yards I use the V-MAX it just cuts then in half. No kidding dont plan on bringing them home they will have a hole the size of a baseball.We used a nikon range finder last summer(07) and another guy was using a Savage I think it was a 110..it was also in 223. the next rifle I plan to build with these fat little fingers will be a 260 Remi and it will be made for the 1000 yard club.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.