223 Rem AI vs 22-250 for varmints

Pauleye

I'm thinking of converting my varmint rifle to either the 223 Rem AI or 22-250. I hand load and have both bolt heads so all I need is the barrel..Which is better or PDs or yotes out to 500 yards?

My 223AI with a 26" and 1/8tw isn't far behind the standard 22-250 in velocity, and when I use the 75Amax/ELD, it is a potent round on yotes at longer ranges. I am pushing the 75's @ 3,005 using AA2520, so it still carries plenty at 500. Of course my 22-250 with a 1/9tw is running the same 75 @ 3,300 with 4831, but with more powder and not really that much more impact on a yote.

As for P-dog shooting, the 223AI dominates with the higher shot volume ability, longer throat life and cooler barrel per same # of rounds.

Start at the start

223 AI has small bolt face

22/250 has large bolt face

Unless you are dealing with an action where you can interchange bolt heads, choices may have just got simpler for you.

Since you already also have the bolt head for the .22-250, I'd go that way for 'yotes at long range (with a 1:12 or faster twist barrel, of course); plus, I'd rather be able to use factory .22-250 rounds than .223 if I ran out of handloads.
Also, with that bolt face, you could go right up to a .243, .308 etc. barrel later, if desired.

Last edited:
I just shot out a 22-250 barrel two years ago and have a 260 AI waiting to be installed. I've been thinking of whether to do a 223 AI or 22-250 again. I'd lean towards the 223 AI because of longer barrel life and less trimming of cases, plus I like to shoot a lot. Like the others have said the heavier bullets should do the job. If you're not going to do high volume shooting with it then I'd even consider a 22-250 AI. I have AR's that fill the roll of high volume varminting, but I'm tired of trimming cases every couple of reloads.

If I ever build another 22 cal varmit rifle, and I have many different ones, It would be the 22 br. I have a 6br and with slow twist so I can shoot light bullets and I really love it if you want to go the .24 route. The only ai that I like is the 6m/m and the 257 Roberts. But you know how opinions are, everyone has one like other things.

.204 Ruger is the best compromise. Better bbl life, great ballistics, no significant recoil.

I'm thinking of converting my varmint rifle to either the 223 Rem AI or 22-250. I hand load and have both bolt heads so all I need is the barrel..Which is better or PDs or yotes out to 500 yards?
Just because It's my favorite small caliber I'd go withthe .22-250.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.