Varmint caliber choices

harleybug

I'm looking into buying a varmint rifle and I wanted to get some opinions from u guys. I've shot the 17 fireball and loved it but almost hard to come by. I also like the 17 hornet. I'm mainly going to use it for ground squirrels and the occasional coyote. I want a very flat shooting caliber that doesn't kick very much. I've also looked at the 204 ruger. I appreciate the advice. Any pros cons and experiences u have with any good caliber.

I would personally go with a 204 Ruger or 223 if you're limited to factory ammo. Every store I've been to recently has shells for the two fore mentioned cartridges. I just sold my 22-250 and switched to a 204 to try something different. My current load is pushing a 32 grain Vmax at 3900 fps and is very accurate. The gun is so pleasant to shoot and it has done well for me out to 550 yards which I consider to be about as far as I can reliably expect to shoot with that little bullet. I think I will enjoy the 204 more than my 22-250 for prairie dog and squirrel hunts.

Don't discount a 223 with the right bullets. Is it sexy? No, but the 40 grain varmint bullets out of a 223 are a joy to shoot and I've used them to 400 yards on sod poodles with great success.

Here's a pic of my last group fired prone with my 204. It should be a great varmint load this spring and summer.
image.jpg

I haunt shot the 204 but I hear it's a real flat shooting round. I'm mainly going for ground squirrels so I thin k it will work very well. I was thinking about 22-250 but it's got to much kick and muzzle blast for what I'm looking to do. If I were going for a yote gun I would consider it. I did enjoy the 17 hornet a lot to.

Don't discount a plain Jane 17 HMR for squirrels. On most squirrel hunts I've been on I'll shoot a couple hundred rounds of centerfire and then switch to the HMR. That HMR was a match made in squirrel heaven. Shots under 300 yards are doable and ammo is only $14/50 shots. Every squirrel hunter should have one :)

I think out side the box. :) Have you ever heard of or considered the 19 calibers? The 17's are about worthless and actually not easy to reload with my fat fingers. I first came across the 19-223 and it was cheap fun shooting. I do the ground squires in farmers fields after the first cutting where 500 shots a day are normal. I since expanded to the 19 badger also.

When I was a kid I had a 26 inch bull 22-250 52 -55 gr. and then I did years of 243 varminting with 72 - 80 gr.

Read this link.

19 Caliber Page

I do like the hmr I was trying to find a round with a little more fps, but I'm not totally against it either.

I do like the hmr I was trying to find a round with a little more fps, but I'm not totally against it either.

Nothing about the 19 cal? I recently bought 1000 one shot 223 mixed polished brass for $72. I ran them through my 19 cal full length resizer punching out the primers. I use the 40 grain with CFE powder loaded to right at near 3800 fps.

I reload so I don't have to worry if they are in the local store or not.

The 19 looks cool, but ammo is a concern. I reload so it's not a very critical problem but it's just an odd ball caliber.

Don't discount a plain Jane 17 HMR for squirrels. On most squirrel hunts I've been on I'll shoot a couple hundred rounds of centerfire and then switch to the HMR. That HMR was a match made in squirrel heaven. Shots under 300 yards are doable and ammo is only $14/50 shots. Every squirrel hunter should have one :)

Love my 17 hmr:) just got one from the wife for Christmas and that thing just amazes me. It shoots surprisingly flat for a rimfire. Ive Shot out to 300 yards just playing around and it did surprisingly well. The 204 would be an excellent option if you plan on further distances than what the hmr is capable of.

You might take a hard look at the .20 Vartarg. Pushes a 32 gr bullet at 3700+ fps with less than 20 grains of powder. 20 cal. bullets are plentiful and reasonably priced. .221 Fireball brass from Lapua, Norma, Nosler and Remington can be used. You can shoot squirrels with it all day long without smoking the barrel too:D. Both of my Vartarg's shoot in the .2's at a hundred yards, and have made connections on squirrels out to 450 yards. With 35 gr. Bergers, or 39 grain Sierra BK's , it's bad news for coyotes .gun)

-Mike

Harleybug , if you're going after Ground Squirrels , you will be doing a LOT of shooting . I would suggest a 223 or 223 AI with 40 Grain Bullets . Tons of Brass and Bullets to choose from , and heavier Bullets for Yotes if you so desire . Black Hills has good loaded Ammo if you don't want to load your own . Rifles are your choice . I'm a single shot Bolt Action guy , but if I were going after Ground Squirrels I would consider an AR Platform . You're lucky , I sure wish I was near ground Squirrel territory !

Last edited:
I have an ar15 that shoots good but I want a more presicion bolt action in a flatter shooting round. The 20vartarg looks awesome th s t-shirt more of what I'm looking for. The 223 drops a lot at 300.

The 223 with a 40 grain bullet does not drop a terrible amount at 300. I actually had higher percentage kills with that load within 400 yards than I did with my 22-250 shooting a 55 grain ballistic tip.

I shot 55s at 300 and they were dropping 18 inches so that's a little much for what I'm looking at but. I haunt tried 40s. Its a great yote gun but not what I'm looking for here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.