Vanguard action?

yeah before I "pull the trigger" on the prefit I definitely want to talk to the smith I wind up going with, I've talked with a few briefly and most of them seem very Leary of working with a carbon barrel for some reason. I do like the idea of no barrel nut though

I had been talking to my Smith about doing a rebarrel and then found the OMR carbon wrapped barrel. I sent him a link and he said that would be a great option me. I pulled the trigger, and am just currently waiting on the barrel to ship.

He has done lots of carbon barrels though so carbon doesn't scare him.

Love my vanguard!!! Mine is now a 338/375 ruger improved
7D866BD4-649E-426F-8E00-E01AFCB59583.jpeg

I have two vanguards. A 300 wby and a 257 wby. The 300 is shooter, but can't get any consistency in the 257. I think I'm going to rebarrel it. Just can't decide which caliber!
Call weatherby and see if y
I have two vanguards. A 300 wby and a 257 wby. The 300 is shooter, but can't get any consistency in the 257. I think I'm going to rebarrel it. Just can't decide which caliber!
Mine is on order with them right now. I bought a 26" carbon wrapped barrel in 257 weatherby mag to rebuild mine. We will see how it goes...
Mine is on order with them right now. I bought a 26" carbon wrapped barrel in 257 weatherby mag to rebuild mine. We will see how it goes...
Horse, Call Weatherby and see if your .257 is covered by a "1'' warantee. If so they will fix it for free.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 257 weatherby mag based on a vanguard action. The aftermarket support isn't as strong, but parts are available. Several companies are now doing prefit barrels for vanguard's using a barrel nut like a savage. You can also do a traditional barrel if you like. Your Smith will just need to be able to cut the metric thread the howa requires.

Be direct, build it.
I put a Cooper barrel and a Bell and Carlson stock on my 257 vanguard, shoots fantastic! If you have the action use it you wont be dissapointed!

My 257 was a stock basic vanguard and with handloads shot .75 or less until I shot the barrel out. I am hoping the new barrel and stock will get me at least back to .75 or better and be more consistent.

Keep us updated on how the barrel shoots when you get it installed. I am only a couple hours away from Oregon Mountain rifles and have been looking at getting a barrel for my Howa and Remington.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 257 weatherby mag based on a vanguard action. The aftermarket support isn't as strong, but parts are available. Several companies are now doing prefit barrels for vanguard's using a barrel nut like a savage. You can also do a traditional barrel if you like. Your Smith will just need to be able to cut the metric thread the howa requires.

Be direct, build it.
FYI, I know the 257 brass can be scarce but I saw some new Norma 257 Weatherby Mag brass at www.a3gmunitions.com at pretty good price.

I rebarreled my 257wby vanguard s2 into a 1:7 twist 257wby. It consistently held 3/4 moa with the factory barrel, and it's still just as accurate with the new one. I think you'll be satisfied.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.