Using drone to scout for animals?

Furtherest thing from it. Guy asked for an Opinion. Can't talk about ethics here so there really isn't anything to discuss. You don't even have to leave your truck to scout. If that's not laziness, I don't know what is.

I didn't direct my comment to anyone on this thread. Why the insult?

No but you cast a broad net. Live and let live. Who cares if someone else is lazy. It doesn't affect you.

No but you cast a broad net. Live and let live. Who cares if someone else is lazy. It doesn't affect you.

Much like the guys on my lease who fly passed my stand on their four wheelers and gators because they can't walk a mile to their stands, drones can disturb a hunt the same way. I can see the same issues coming up quickly when you're trying to escape into the woods and some dude is flying a drone over your spot or spooking game they can't bother to walk to themselves. Not to mention the ethics behind it. We are hunting North American game, not ISIS.

Much like the guys on my lease who fly passed my stand on their four wheelers and gators because they can't walk a mile to their stands, drones can disturb a hunt the same way. I can see the same issues coming up quickly when you're trying to escape into the woods and some dude is flying a drone over your spot or spooking game they can't bother to walk to themselves. Not to mention the ethics behind it. We are hunting North American game, not ISIS.

If you have a lease. Why are people hunting and driving on it? And we are talking about ground that the drone operator has permission to be on or is public ground, not trespassing on land to fly a drone.

If you have a lease. Why are people hunting and driving on it? And we are talking about ground that the drone operator has permission to be on or is public ground, not trespassing on land to fly a drone.

Multiple people on the lease. Owner of the property for the lease let's other guys use their four wheelers. Disturbs the hunting. I signed up for it though knowing that, so I don't complain to anyone about it. It does **** me off none the less. You can't walk a mile to your stand, seriously?

I just don't get it. Get out into the woods, enjoy nature, leave your phone in the truck, walk the woods. Why does technology have to infiltrate every aspect of our lives? Why should flying a drone be an aspect of hunting? Because it's new? Because it's efficient? And who cares where the operator is? If he's flying a drone in the vicinity of where you're hunting he's disturbing the hunt. It's as simple as that. Theres no human interaction. There's no apologies or talking with another hunter and deconflicting issues. He might not be breaking the law or whatever rules are in place, but it's still rude and not courteous to fellow hunters. It's just another thing we have to contend with in the woods.

Well if u paid the lease knowing that you can't complain. My grandpa felt the same way about rifle scopes u fell about drones. Doesn't make him right. Everything is new technology at one point. I assume you don't hunt with a flintlock or hand thrown spear. It may be rude but they paid the lease money too. I've had some annoying crap happen to me hunting elk on fed land but it is what it is.

@Mach 1 yeah I don't complain to the guys on the lease. I'm just complaining on here lol. I knowingly signed up for that. I guess a drone is out of someone's control. Especially if they were on another property and came over to yours. @J E Custom said it more eloquently than I did about drones.

I'm not debating trespassing. Although that's an entirely new subject concerning air space.

This is a free country and they git to be lazy if they whant to, but yes it does affect us.

Not anymore than anything else does. Also just because you see someone driving in or "being lazy" in another way you should stop and think about it. I've had a lot of friends with knee and one with hip replacements. That's pretty common anymore. Laziness would have to be judged on a individual bases. Not to say there aren't outright lazy people out there but if they aren't breaking the law or cant prove they are breaking the law ....just deal with it.

Not anymore than anything else does. Also just because you see someone driving in or "being lazy" in another way you should stop and think about it. I've had a lot of friends with knee and one with hip replacements. That's pretty common anymore. Laziness would have to be judged on a individual bases. Not to say there aren't outright lazy people out there but if they aren't breaking the law or cant prove they are breaking the law ....just deal with it.

Hey sorry I see where your coming from. I'm 30. I see a lot of my friends on four wheelers. Like last Saturday the guy who passed my stand on one was only 19. I can see the drone stuff being my buddies trying out new toys as keeping up with the Jones and being inconsiderate about it. For the older guys it's makes sense to have them out on four wheelers or give them some kind of assistance to keep them hunting.

All I will say is wait until you are 65 like I am.
I love my Yamaha Grizzly it gets me places that I can't walk to anymore.
It carries my rifle..cooler..dry clothes..and packs the deer out!
Think back in 35 years and see if things don't look a little different?

Depends on the cost for the service plan. May be an option since crashing the camera drone can get expensive in a hurry...especially if you have to pay someone else to do the work.

You might want to look seriously at the P3A. The price is fantastic right now and the radio will transmit considerably further and higher. You also have more camera controls on the RC so you don't have to use the DJI GO app to control everything...

All I will say is wait until you are 65 like I am.
I love my Yamaha Grizzly it gets me places that I can't walk to anymore.
It carries my rifle..cooler..dry clothes..and packs the deer out!
Think back in 35 years and see if things don't look a little different?
You are exactly right. There are some of us with bad knees. I had a person old enough tp be my grandson to tell me i needed to get into shape. I think they convince this young generation in gyms that age is just a number. That was what happened to me after knee surgery last year. Until they pass 60 they just don't know

I see a lot of people on here stating is it ethical and I kind of laugh at that because is long range hunting ethical? If you speak with the hunting community, I bet 95% would say shooting at a live animal over say 300 yards is unethical. Heck, most bowhunters simply think all gun hunting is unethical and an unfair advantage. So when does it end? For me, that is up to the individual. I like a challenge BUT I also would probably quit hunting if I did not get some game meat in my freezer every year. As long as the targeted animal population numbers are stable, then I say take whatever legal method of hunting you can to get your game OR do not do certain things to make it more of a challenge. This is why I rifle hunt, bow hunt, traditional bow hunt and muzzleloader hunt. All of them have their own challenges and all of them are "fun" for different reasons to me. Am I going to use a drone? I doubt it as I already am able to get the targeted animals I want without it. If a day comes where this changes, my attitude towards using drones could possibly change. Just my two cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.