Using dogs to get coyotes.

Great lookin pup, Big Sky. The cur family of dogs seem to be very intelligent and quick to learn things. Almost problem-solving smart. I trained my two dogs and it was a snap. Not that I was a great trainer, but that these dogs were just so intuitive. They caught on right away. After a couple of years together now, we communicate on several levels...hand gestures, head movements, sometimes they just read my thoughts. Yep.....you're gonna love this.

Azsugarbear, I do have a question for you. You said you pretty much take your dogs with you all the time. Does that include fall and winter? If yes, how do the coyotes react during that time of year? I know how they react in spring and summer, but I am curious about fall and winter. I am also really enjoying the companionship of a dog. I mostly hunt alone so a dog is nice to have around.

This thread reminds of ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC16eFqiqEs"][FULL] Rottweiler Rescues Chihuahua From Coyote Attack | Coyote Attacks Chihuahua Dog (Video) - YouTube[/ame]

:D

Every scenario is a little different, but the single thread running through them all is the triggering of a territorial response - infringing on the coyote's turf so that he feels the need to respond. From late Summer through early Winter I start my calling based on food. Most coyotes are cautious and somewhat slow to respond. But seeing a dog changes things up. They become worried that the dog is also going after that distressed rabbit. They focus on clearing the dog out.

In late winter just before mating season, I lead with either a territorial challenge a group hunting howl. A new coyote moving onto their turf makes it difficult to attract a mate. Once they see the dog - it is really game on.

In early spring right after the pups are born, I always lead with a "pup in distress" call. It hardly seems fair. One or both parents usually come flying to the call. I guess they can't count. They assume it's one of their own. When they see my dogs - they assume the worst and really come after my dogs. Most of my dog's close encounters - the times when I have been most afraid for them - occur during this type of scenario. But it is also the most fun.

As a general rule, my dog hear/see/smell the coyote before I do. I'm looking around watching for movement and then - Bam! - my dogs are off running at top speed in a straight line towards something while I am still trying to see what on earth got them so excited. Sometimes it is just a rabbit or curious javelina, but most the time it is a yote or a whole pack of them.

There have been times when a coyote has seen my dogs and turned tail. These are few and far in between, but it has happened. Watching my dogs work has become more fun for me than simply shooting the coyote. At first, it was all about fur on the ground. Just doing my part to thin the heard. Nowadays, putting the yote down for the count is secondary to watching the intense interaction between yote and dog. I have learned more about coyote behavior by watching these interactions than I ever did just hunting them on my own.

Maybe I should train Thor, my Karelian Bear Dog to hunt them yotes :cool: ...

Attachments

• P2242144.JPG
    P2242144.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 110
I like coyote hunting in the area I live. Starting to see more in the fall when their fur gets fuller. But I am not able to hunt them hard because I'm a farmer and not done with field work. So I hunt them when I can. But I have to do it before the snow hits the ground. If not I'm screwed. As soon the snow starts, guys with dogs run up and down the roads looking for tracks. When they find them they let their dogs loose. I was told that the dogs chase the coyote hard enough they die from exhaustion or the dogs kill them. When the dogs get tired they put fresh ones in on the chase. Guys sit in their pickups about half mile or so apart watching for coyotes or the dogs. This is done just about every week in the winter.

The only hunting I do is for deer(food for the family, only harvest what we need), groundhog(they can destroy a soybean field pretty quick), and coyotes(to keep population down and maybe get some extra pocket money). I work hard for what I harvest and thank God for what I take. But what these guys are doing is lazy hunting. They go onto anybody's property without asking. Block travel lanes on roads.

I might get some people ****ed at me. Oh well. It would be nice to out law this type of hunting practice.

I'm NOT against using dogs for decoys. As long as the hunter kills the coyote like hunters should. Quick and humane.

Sorry if this is some rambling, but this subject gets my blood boiling.

Jason
trespassing without asking aint right. At leadt make a concerted effort to find the landowner