If I wanted to get into coyote hunting

Southernfryedyankee

and hunt with an AR-15 platform. What would be a good entry level complete upper preferably with a heavy/varmint barrel in 20" length. From what I have seen on my hunting shows the 223 seems to be the preferred caliber BUT could the 6.8 serve my needs for coyote hunting plus serve the ability as a multi use rifle? If I were to get a 6.8 SPC what other uses could I utilize that particular round for? I would like to get at least my son started hunting this year and because I can hunt coyotes year round I thought maybe this would give myself a more available chance to hunt with him and get him used to being in the woods and learning the ropes so he would be ready for deer season.

Last edited:
There is another option which might be more logical. My Walmart has Rem 700 243's on sale for $397 (with 10% discount for employees, which I am) if I add a scope and mount to that I would be spending almost the same $$$ as buying a new upper. IF I go with a 243 my children will have a rifle they can hunt with be it deer OR coyotes. Any opinions on this? The 243 seems to be better choice.

I'd personnally look into purchasing the additional rifle. That way two of you could hunt coyotes together. The 243 is adequate for deer as long as you recognize it's limitations. The AR platforms fill a good niche, but I'd think you would have more options with a separate rifle.
I've struggled getting good groups in the Remmy 1 in 9 1/8 twist barrel with the light (70gn) varmint bullets. My dual purpose load for coyotes and deer with a 243 is a Sierra HPBT 85gn Gameking. 87gn Vmax's do great as well
A 400.00 remmy plus a 400.00 dollar scope (recommend zeiss conquest 3-9) puts you at 800.00. If you don't like the plastic remmy stocks look at Stocky's Gun Stocks . They have good selection of wood/laminate/composite stocks.

Hope this helps and good luck

I would look into a Rock River Arms varmint setup if your wanting a 223. I have one and shoot half moa with it using ballistic tip 55gr bullets, but the cool thing about the rra is the wilson barrel. It has a 1 in 8 twist it will handle the heavier bullets with no problems. Mine has the elevated optics platform and i hung a 56mm millet off of it with medium mounts which gets the scope close to the hand guard. Should be good for yotes to about 500 yard but hey the 6.8 will go farther and hit harder it really depends on how far ur shooting. For 223 Id go with rra.

New guy here, you might want to try a 6.5 grendel, i"ve been using one for 4 years,yotes at 700 deer at 400 web site is back up worth alook...

This is the problem I have noticed with getting an AR upper in a different caliber...they can be pricey. One could get an entire rifle for the price of an upper. But having the benefit of a semi-auto is a plus.

New guy here, you might want to try a 6.5 grendel, i"ve been using one for 4 years,yotes at 700 deer at 400 web site is back up worth alook...

I'd go with a 6.5x284 Norma over a grendel or creedmore any day of the week. They have a slightly fatter casing so you have a ton more options for loads and bullet weights.

But in general, any of the 6.5s are lethal on whitetail up to 850 yards. That's pretty **** impressive. Consider this... most competition palma, and long distance rifle competitors use 6.5mm or 6mm. There obviously is something to it.

The 6.5's have a sectional density that's better than a 308, and usually have some of the highest ballistic coefficients (rivaled only by the .338's and .50's). Considering it is a smaller diameter, you can load a lighter grain bullet and easily plink off some yotes up to 1,000 yards with this caliber and not do catastrophic damage to the game. But, if you load it up with a 140-150, you can easily take whitetail up to 850 yards. This is hands down one of the most versatile calibers out there. They aren't too expensive, factory ammo for the 6.5x284 Norma is right around $40-50 for 20. Reloading you can cut that in half. That's doable for any rifle owner.

I know Savage has a mean looking Norma in the 111 Long Range Hunter, comes with adjustable cheekpiece, muzzle brake (virtually no recoil with this), and you can pick them up for about $750. Uppers for the AR-15 are usually more than this anyway. Having an additional rifle is always a good option. Personal opinion, I don't like the AR's anyway.

Hope this helps some.

and hunt with an AR-15 platform. What would be a good entry level complete upper preferably with a heavy/varmint barrel in 20" length. From what I have seen on my hunting shows the 223 seems to be the preferred caliber BUT could the 6.8 serve my needs for coyote hunting plus serve the ability as a multi use rifle? If I were to get a 6.8 SPC what other uses could I utilize that particular round for? I would like to get at least my son started hunting this year and because I can hunt coyotes year round I thought maybe this would give myself a more available chance to hunt with him and get him used to being in the woods and learning the ropes so he would be ready for deer season.
First there is no such thing as an entry level upper. There are quality uppers and there are junk uppers. If you are going to confine you're hunting to coyotes, varmints and such. .223 is all the caliber you need. Ammo is cheap and you can find it anywhere. Pick a round with a good varmint bullet and get after it. If you decide to expand your hunting to things that a bit much for the 223 round there are a multitude of calibers that will drop right on to an ar 15 upper. A 110 grain accubond from a 6.8 SPC 20" barrel clocks around 2590. Thats some plenty lethal deer medicine. so with two uppers on the same lower we have covered everything from mule deer to ground rats. Add an AR 10 and nothing on this earth is safe from a well placed round.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.