Used Christensen arms rifle worth it?

Black Sheep

I'm looking at a used Christensen Arms rifle in 7mm RUM. It has the carbon wrapped barrel, muzzle brake, remington ss action, timney trigger, and possibly a bell and carlson stock (rifle is about 5-6 yrs old) The guy wants 1750 for it, and I know they don't have a great reputation at the full price, but I was just wondering if it was a better deal at this price.

Thanks

NO! I have only seen one out of five that shot good at all and it was their custom long range model, all the others would not group under 10" at 200 no matter what we fed it. the one that does shoot is in 300 rum and wears a shilen barrel so they say. even had A brand new one right off the shelf and it would not even chamber a round... at all! It went back and they had to put a sako style extractor in. so that tells me they dont even shoot the rifles just to make sure everything works let alone to test accurracy. I find that very sad for a rifle that costs as much as they do.

Wow! that's not sounding too good! this guy claims its an moa rifle with factory ammo at 100. But then again, my Tikka T3 lite in 270 wsm was an moa gun with factory ammo, and it is about 1/2 moa with reloads. thanks for the advice

well Im just saying if it was me I would take that 1750 and find something else to spend it on. I just had a winchester mod 70 extreme weather come in to my shop for a scope mount and load development and that thing shoots lights out with the 168 berger, 8 shots in a quater size hole at 100.

Near as I can tell the consistency of the product isn't that good, and the service after the sale downhill from there. You can do better for your money.

The customs will shoot SUB MOA and in many cases 1/2 MOA with with properly tuned hand loads. Any one who tells you anything else has not spent anytime behind one..... The other older models are factory wrapped barrles so don't expect anything better then what the factory gives you!

well we will see Im getting another one in tomorow, its one of the generic off the rack model but the customer says it shoots pretty good at 25 yards, ya I know, soo dont say it.lol its a 7 mag I will get the scope on it and start my load development so I guess we'll see.

The customs will shoot SUB MOA and in many cases 1/2 MOA with with properly tuned hand loads. Any one who tells you anything else has not spent anytime behind one..... The other older models are factory wrapped barrles so don't expect anything better then what the factory gives you!
Will Christensen guarantee this level of of performance? Last I checked they won't-others will.

Thanks for the input guys! I did some searching, and found an older thread where someone said they were a gunsmith for C.A. and said that they were having a lot of trouble with the 7 RUM's. I think I'll heed the advice, and find a better place to put the cash!

This is an issue when the GUARANTY they will shoot 1/2". I made the mistake once and will never own one again.

Save your money and buy a better rifle.

Run away! I have tried loading for 5 different guns. Could only get one to shoot about an inch 100 yards. Others where three inch groups. One the chamber was cut .015 bigger then the case. One shot factor loads would split the case. They are made 40 min from my house. I have toured there shop. You could not give me one.

Skyking. Are you trying to tell me you have loaded for 5 different CA customs and none of them shoot under 1in? If so I'm going to call you out on your statements!!

I had one in 300 Rum and the best I could ever get out of it was 1.5-2.0 moa. There are much better deals for that kinda money. Get a cooper or build your own!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.