US SWS (M-24)

Clem Bronkoski

I just read an interesting article on the Military/police version of the Rem 700 (military classification M-24 SWS (Sniper Weapon System) when I did a search for the specs.
When I got to the accuracy section this is what it said: (cut and paste)
"Accuracy: According to MIL-R-71126(AR), 3.15.7 Targeting and Accuracy, The rifle shall achieve the dispersion set forth below when fired from a Government approved machine rest. The average mean radius shall be less than or equal to the values stated below. The minimum rate of fire for conducting this test shall be three rounds per minute.[3]

Range / Average Mean Radius (AMR) — Mean Radius (MR) expresses the average distance of all the shots from the center of the shot group. AMR averages the MR of several shot groups.

• 200 yards (183 m): 1.3 inches
  • 273 yards (250 m): 1.4 inches
  • 300 yards (274 m): 1.9 inches
The radial distance from the calculated center of impact of the first target compared to the calculated center of impacts of the subsequent targets shall be less or equal to 1.086 MOA (3.3 inches @ 300 yards, 2.2 inches @ 200 yards, 2.4 inches @ 200 meters) on an average basis.
The actual rifle requirements for accuracy were .35 MOA from a machine rest and according to Major John Mende (ret.) this accuracy had to be maintained to 10,000 rounds. He stated, "Interesting side note was there was a 10,000 round requirement for the barrel to maintain the original accuracy. In fact after some 10,000 round tests we discovered the accuracy improved. A few barrels were tested past 20,000 and accuracy never went below the original accuracy requirement."[8]
Maximum effective range is given as 800 meters (875 yd), but record shots have been made with the M24 at over 1,000 meters (1,094 yd). Meanwhile, the standard optical sight has a maximum elevation adjustment of 1,000 meters (1,094 yd)."
I know a lot of guys swap out their barrels after less than 10,000 rounds and some a lot less than that. This rifle system was adopted by the military in 1988 with many in use today in either .308 or .338 Lapula.

Carried one for several years. They were (are, still in use by some forces, had some Airforce dudes on the range with us recently) decent rifles. They were not .35 moa guns. Read more into the mean radius, has to do with hit probably. Excludes things like fliers and goes off average. Don't get me wrong, I like the rifle and think we should use them for training at the schoolhouse if nothing else. Also, the 10000 round thing is kinda pushing it. I've seen them with close to that but they sure as heck didn't group better!

If you look at the Wikipedia references you'll notice it does even have a TM manual as a reference. If I remember right, the army's standard is .5 moa to max effective target for the first m24. The rest is a bunch of semi true, but not really information.

The m24 was in long action more so for the conversion to a .300 win mag. The A3 was available on .338 LM.
Imagine how sad armorers were during that time...

I just read an interesting article on the Military/police version of the Rem 700 (military classification M-24 SWS (Sniper Weapon System) when I did a search for the specs.
When I got to the accuracy section this is what it said: (cut and paste)
"Accuracy: According to MIL-R-71126(AR), 3.15.7 Targeting and Accuracy, The rifle shall achieve the dispersion set forth below when fired from a Government approved machine rest. The average mean radius shall be less than or equal to the values stated below. The minimum rate of fire for conducting this test shall be three rounds per minute.[3]

Range / Average Mean Radius (AMR) — Mean Radius (MR) expresses the average distance of all the shots from the center of the shot group. AMR averages the MR of several shot groups.

• 200 yards (183 m): 1.3 inches
  • 273 yards (250 m): 1.4 inches
  • 300 yards (274 m): 1.9 inches
The radial distance from the calculated center of impact of the first target compared to the calculated center of impacts of the subsequent targets shall be less or equal to 1.086 MOA (3.3 inches @ 300 yards, 2.2 inches @ 200 yards, 2.4 inches @ 200 meters) on an average basis.
The actual rifle requirements for accuracy were .35 MOA from a machine rest and according to Major John Mende (ret.) this accuracy had to be maintained to 10,000 rounds. He stated, "Interesting side note was there was a 10,000 round requirement for the barrel to maintain the original accuracy. In fact after some 10,000 round tests we discovered the accuracy improved. A few barrels were tested past 20,000 and accuracy never went below the original accuracy requirement."[8]
Maximum effective range is given as 800 meters (875 yd), but record shots have been made with the M24 at over 1,000 meters (1,094 yd). Meanwhile, the standard optical sight has a maximum elevation adjustment of 1,000 meters (1,094 yd)."
I know a lot of guys swap out their barrels after less than 10,000 rounds and some a lot less than that. This rifle system was adopted by the military in 1988 with many in use today in either .308 or .338 Lapula.
Very informative I like your post just wondering if you have an iPhone mine also says Lappula unless I corrected The accuracy is surprising not that accurate for rifles made nowadays it's the 10,000 shots that is mind boggling that is an extreme amount for any rifle according to what I have learned in the last several years

A properly tuned rifle,,, ammo,,, and optic that is proven to hold tight MOA would most likely out shoot the shooter...

I have 3 custom made rifles that will out perform my shooting skills every day all day for years to come...

My fake M-40 A-1 land canon is one of them so long as I buckle down and get it planted... Most days it's a 2 to 3 MOA rifle free-hand...

Normally we get 5 to 8000 shots from a stainless steel bull barrel make from the top quality stock,,, when we see more then .5 to .75 MOA,,, we either change the barrel out or finish it off on the hunting grounds...

Cheers from the North

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts