US 869 and 338 Lapua

outlawsix

Has anyone used the US 869 powder in the 338 Lapua?

I've seen the published data. But it is for a 24" barrel with a 1-9" twist. So has anyone used it in a 1-11" twist and 27-28" barrel? 250-300 grain bullets.

What were your results?

Outlawsix,

I have not used it in the Lapua but have tested it in the 338 Kahn(338-378 Wby with 35 degree conventional shoulder). In the Kahn, it works fine with 300 gr bullets but for anything lighter its really to slow burning.

In the Lapua with its nearly 20 gr smaller capacity, you will fine that it is far to slow for top velocity potential. It may be very accurate and consistant but you will get much higher velocity performance with powders such as Rl-22, Rl-25 and retumbo.

Comparing a 1-9 to a 1-11 will make very little difference in end performance concerning this powder.

Again, I would say its to slow for this application. Not that it would not work but it is not the best choice for this combo.

Kirby Allen(50)

With this twist I've only used 250gr bullets. Have been pushing them just fine with VV 165.

If it would give more juice then I would have tried it. Oh well I'll stick with what I have.

Thank you.

For the 250 gr pills, you will not see any advantage using this slow burning powder. What you are using is a good choice as would be Rl-22 or similiar burn rate powders. The 338 bore is very efficent. You can use pretty quick burning powders for the size of the powder charge you use.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts