H870 Verses US 869

twooly

Perhaps this is an old discussion, but why was H870 discontinued? I have access to a good supply of it (I'll never run out) and used it in a 6.5 x 300 Weatherby. It was a quick solution to working up a hand load for hunting season this past fall. However moving forward would it be better to spend time working with US 869? Thoughts?

Perhaps this is an old discussion, but why was H870 discontinued? I have access to a good supply of it (I'll never run out) and used it in a 6.5 x 300 Weatherby. It was a quick solution to working up a hand load for hunting season this past fall. However moving forward would it be better to spend time working with US 869? Thoughts?
H870 was a great powder but really dirty! I would be afraid to use it if you clean a little more. Thunderbird marketed it for a while under T870.
869 Is even slower burning than 870 I think.

We have used h870 in 7-300 wby's and 300 wby's with good results, we also used wc 872 a military surplus powder and it was a little slower than h870. The late Howard Wolfe chambered our rifles who chambered your 6.5x300.
Drags

We have used h870 in 7-300 wby's and 300 wby's with good results, we also used wc 872 a military surplus powder and it was a little slower than h870. The late Howard Wolfe chambered our rifles who chambered your 6.5x300.
Drags
Mine is a just a factory Weatherby Vanguard rmef thing. My father knew Howard. He used to get barrels from him that were no longer useful for bench rest stuff and turn them down for silhouette rifles. Howard also did a few things to silhouette rifles for my dad.

H870 got a bad rep for being very dirty to shoot and too slow for the then currently popular cartridges. I use it on some of my more capacious cases with heavier bullets. Longer barrels and slightly tighter crimp helps with the dirty residue.

You can certainly use full cases of the US869 with heavier hunting style bullets like the 153.5 Bergers or the Hornady 150 gr. A-Tips.

The drawback is the loss of velocity and the potential for less efficiency.

:)

H-870 got the dirty label because it was often used in cartridges not designed for such a slow powder. I use it in my 30/378 and 300 RUM with 200 gr bullets. When it gets up to appx 65000 psi it is no dirtier than most other slow burning ball powders. JME