Upgrading my rangefinder (EL range or 1600B)

pyroducksx3

So I'm upgrading my rangefinder and thinking of going a couple of different direction. Right now I have a lieca 1200 and it does ok. The only problems I have had are that it doesnt always range out to 1200, out to 800-900 pretty reliably and it failed when it was in semi foggy conditions. My buddy who has a swaro range (not on him at the time) was surprised as he said his would most likely have ranged just fine. So Im upgrading I want relaible ranging out to 1200 or better sun or not and the ability to get out to 1500 yards under reasonable conditions. One direction I'm looking at is the Swaro EL range Binos. I like the 10x for long distance ranging and combining the rangefinder and binos. I had looked at the new lieca geovids range binos and Im getting very mixed reviews, also I can get a killer price on the el range. The other option is just to upgrade to the 1600B. I use a ballistic computer so the bullet drop features arent a make or break. I cant find much info on the use of the EL range for longrange shooting so just hoping to get some opinions from people that do it, Thanks

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/owners-swaro-el-range-124102/

I was finally able to get some good info how the vertically oriented beam divergence works and if it works at longer ranges from a very reputable source that has many of these units sent to him for testing. The basics of what he found are mentioned in post #2 above. Since he did all the testing and has been using the EL Range since he hasn't had a need to use his Vectronix or a Russian Navy (I think it was) rangefinder. In vast majority of real hunting situations, it sounds like he's generally found this unit to range out to 2K+

I now have an EL Range on order being sent to Outdoorsmans to have there tripod adapter stud installed and then it'll be sent to me. The tripod adapter (u may know) will then let you attach a plate from any tripod with 1/4-20 threads to it. I've always been told that glassing with binocs from a tripod is a game changer (finder).

Another post with good info and links, I think:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/swarovski-el-range-binoculars-first-field-tests-79652/

Jon A brings up some good points in the above thread, the same that concerned me, but NZ longranger assures me he's not had difficulty with this feature and that the EL range is ranging much more reliably and further than the competition from his testing.

Only thing that can beat it is the Vectronix. His experience is that only the EL Range and Vectronix will reliably range to a mile in bright light. For reducing weight and bulk for backpacking (EL is apparently quite a bit less bulky than it's competition), it seems like the way to go as it's rangefinder will work for the vast majority of us longrange hunters 99.9% of the time, I think.

http://www.nzammo.co.nz/Portals/4/Articles/Simply-the-best-2-Swarovski-EL-Range.pdf

From above review: "A key feature of the EL Range is the light transmission figure
of 91% through the lenses. Normally in a pair of binoculars
where a range finding unit is incorporated there is a drop off in
light transmission because the mechanism partly blocks light
through the lens. For Leica's newer HD Geovids, the figure
given by Swarovski is 77% for the left side and 79% for the
right. In the more expensive Zeiss Victory RF the figure is left
85% and right 74%." And: ". The EL's gave me nearly ten minutes more
glassing time than the Geovids. The Geovids I was using were
not the latest HD model which is reportedly better. This is
where the Swarovski's 91% light transmission really comes into
its own."

I'm surprised with the lack of input about the els. From my research there are only a couple of reviews about using them for lrh but those reviews are great.

I'm surprised with the lack of input about the els. From my research there are only a couple of reviews about using them for lrh but those reviews are great.

Be sure and closely look at the new Leica HD Rangefinder as well---you probably already have. The larger beam divergence is what made me put them to the side.

I'm interested in them as well put they may be out of budget, I may be able to get a deal on swaro. My concern with the lieca is that I've heard they are "darker" than the swaro and that the light transmission numbers are quite a bit less than swaro. Also somebody that had used them was reporting that they were not impressed with the misreadings and range of them.

Yes, from what I've seen, the Swaro EL's are still the way to go, especially if overall weight and bulk are a concern and from what I can see and from what I've heard from folks that hunt over 150 days a year (NZ longranger), this is the best combination unit all things considered in all the testing he has done, which has been extensive and with many units.

PM inbound.

Let's hope Broz will check in....he is a major source of knowledge on rangefinders. I believe he is going to tell you to go with a Leica. Next to the Vectronix units I believe they have the smallest angle of divergence and the Leica 1600 is tiny in comparison to the Swaro.

Edit: Didn't realize Swarovski had come out with a pair of 10x42 binos with a built in rangefinder. Does anyone know what the angle of divergence is?

I've heard from broz, he wasn't too impressed with the geovids he got to play with this summer. But maybe he has got to play with some since and has gotten a different impression

Let's hope Broz will check in....he is a major source of knowledge on rangefinders. I believe he is going to tell you to go with a Leica. Next to the Vectronix units I believe they have the smallest angle of divergence and the Leica 1600 is tiny in comparison to the Swaro.

Edit: Didn't realize Swarovski had come out with a pair of 10x42 binos with a built in rangefinder. Does anyone know what the angle of divergence is?

Angle of divergence is 1.5mil x .5mil on the EL Range--smaller than the leica. It's been out for 2 years. Take a look at the links above and it has won hands down against similar offerings from Leica and Zeiss in terms of bino performance and rangefinding peformance in the head to head, rigorous review or two that I have seen and rigorous testing I've heard about otherwise from NZlongranger.

Broz is currently, to the best of my knowledge, using a Vectronix PLRF10, which is most likely the best consumer rangefinder out there with the smallest beam divergence. Shawn Carlock is using the same unit and has machined a plate to attach it to that he can also attach a telescopic doubler to and rest it all on a burly tripod for better long range ranging ability. If I wasn't always thinking small and light (backpack hunting), I would probably get that unit. But my guess is that, based on the reviews I've seen, Jeff would likely agree that for the vast majority of long range hunting situtations, the Swaro EL Range unit is more than adequate. Jeff?

That's what NZlongranger (editor of NZ Hunter magazine who gets this stuff sent to him for testing repeatedly) has said and he hunts more than any of us on this board, I would guess--150 days a year. NZ says his Swaro EL Range consistently ranges past 2000 yds. And, though he has access to other units, this has become his goto unit since he first received it.

It's hard to argue that many of us here need more ability than that in 99.9% of hunting conditions. Sure it's fun to shoot beyond that and a Vectronix will allow you to do that, but for the price of an EL Range, you get a top quality binoc and rangefinder in one unit in a small, lightweight package compared to a Vectronix (fairly good sized and heavier for a rangefinder) and seperate 10x quality binoc and I believe the PLRF10 costs as much as the EL Range does. Send the EL Range off to Outdoorsmans to have it fitted (does not affect warranty) for their tripod adapter and you have a great bino and rangefinder that can be tripod supported for better glassing and ranging and can fit on any tripod for the added weight of 2.7 oz.

I'm on ounce counter when it comes to what goes on my back on a hunt as I want to go in light as reasonably possibly, put as much energy as reasonably possible into hunting and come out heavy, but no heavier than necessary. Would I like to have a Vectronix? Yes. And I have a rifle that goes subsonic well beyond 2000 yards, but I also realize, that for me, the EL Range should do 99% of what I'm looking for and do it for less money, less weight and less bulk than a Vectronix and seperate full size 10x binoc. If I had a different hunting style and some more cash, I'd get a PLRF10 almost without question.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.