Leica 1600B Rangefinder

deadidarren

gday all i cant get the search function to work at the moment

can someone please explain the ballistic part of the Leica 1600B Rangefinder

is it any good or just another sale's gimmick i would like it to work past 500y .

and what are they selling for in the us.

cheers D

I have one and the drop doesn't match anything I shoot. I can't recall how far the ballistics go but it's nowhere near far enough.

Long story short, the 1600 is great for ranging but the ballistic calc is like tits on a boast hog. :rolleyes:

I have one and the drop doesn't match anything I shoot. I can't recall how far the ballistics go but it's nowhere near far enough.

Long story short, the 1600 is great for ranging but the ballistic calc is like tits on a boast hog. :rolleyes:

thanks for the reply so it's good for the temp baro and alt ? and range of course

thanks for the reply so it's good for the temp baro and alt ? and range of course

It's great for baro. Barometric pressure negates the need for elevation.

The small beam divergence is great for target selection. I find mine more than sufficient for any shooting I desire. However, some times, due to sun angle, it won't reach out there. None of the other units would either.

I've had on problem ranging my 1 MOA gong at 1760 yards. The line of sight happens to be perpendicular to the sun's rays.

However it takes a while for it to stabilize at temperature. This is common to all range finders due to their mass.

I carry mine inside my outer layer of clothing thus it is not good for Temp. As are all others.

Temperature isn't that hard to come by.

I find temperature is, within reason, more critical for powder temp than for exterior ballistics

I have had the same experience with my Leica 1600B as Royinidaho. The ballistic app is a little gimmicky but it actually matches one of my rifles loads very closely.... but I don't really like the interface, and it does not match my other rifles trajectory, so I just use the rangefinder for yardage and pressure and figure out the rest on my own.

But overall the unit works great for ranging, I am very happy with it.

Pardon my new guy question but if the ballistics app is "iffy" or however it was phrased, what is it good for? I thought the whole purpose was to have an all-in-one solution?

You guys are shooting about three galaxies above my ability so there's apparently something I don't get yet. Maybe at 500 or so yards I don't need all those "tits on a boar".

Robert

gday all i cant get the search function to work at the moment

can someone please explain the ballistic part of the Leica 1600B Rangefinder

is it any good or just another sale's gimmick i would like it to work past 500y .

and what are they selling for in the us.

cheers D

Pardon my new guy question but if the ballistics app is "iffy" or however it was phrased, what is it good for? I thought the whole purpose was to have an all-in-one solution?

You guys are shooting about three galaxies above my ability so there's apparently something I don't get yet. Maybe at 500 or so yards I don't need all those "tits on a boar".

Robert

There are 12 each EU and US ballistic curves pre programmed into the 1600. Now if you use factory ammo or shoot a load that is "average" more then likely you will find a curve that fits very close. There is 12 curves each with 100, 200,and 300 yard zeros. If you reload and shoot let's say the 215 Berger in a 300 WM and have it rockin probably won't find any that is close enough. Another down side is the curves only go out to 500 yards. Even with that though, they are quite useful and quick if you have one that matches your load. Beyond that you need a shooting app on your iPhone or a good drop chart

All of the other functions of the 1600 are great. I have no problem getting 1000 to 1500 yard ranges even with lots of sun. The Equivalent Horizontal Range out to 800 yards is priceless and beyond that it gives you a degree of slope that you need to enter into the shooting app. The pressure is good in the place of altitude. The temp I just ignore as it takes quite long to adjust if you carry the finder in a inside pocket on a cold day.

You can probably find a demo or open box for around $600 if you are patient.

Robert

ok fair question now as some of the others have stated it will do the job out to 600 650 so it will do for a time when you don't have much to take the shot.

and it has what i would call a must and thats baro as i don't have a kestrel
as i'm lucky enough to have the time and the places to shoot with no breeze
other than up and down drafting in the morning and late arvo.

cheers D

The leica will give you solutions that a normal rangefinder will not. I use it with a ballistic cheat sheet matched to my loads. I have the ballistic profile selected but turn it off. the leica will then give me a distance to target and a angle/Density altitude, correction. I use the second number, and consult my cheat sheet for the holdover and wind and shoot. 880 yards is about the range limit for this past that and you have rangefinder only. Leica does now have a bino rangefinder that will work out much farther.. likely not as accurate as a shooter app. but useful still the same.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.