Update on the Super Pigs

I have only propped one open for a short period, after that I use cheap molasses from the cattle lick poured in into the arm of the 6 along with corn and maybe some sweet feed, they just walk and eat right into the trap. They don't even realize they are caught until the food runs out, alot of times they just lay down and take a nap, especially if you build it where there is plenty of shade.
Yeah, you could probably get away without propping it open at all doing what you described.

Once a pig gets used to a food source, they will find a way in!

You are wrong, the most adaptable animal on the planet, they are the zebra mussel of the 4 legged critter world.

Also, you think you want them right up to the point you actually get them and realize how destructive they are. They will push deer and other animals out of an area, they'll do the same with elk. They will literally eat anything, plant or animal, including each other.

Also, you will have them before you realize that you have a problem, because when you see the signs, they are already established in the area.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ thank you!

Yes it does and it's not overly complicated or hard to do.

Built a figure six trap and finished it about 8pm that night, baited it with corn and chicken grains. Presto, trapped and shot 5 pigs the next morning. Henrietta made sure I got a picture while I was at the dealership getting my oil changed. I can also tell you, having 10rd mags going against 5 pigs wasn't the ideal situation once they broke the trap open and exited towards towards me. The two I shot at muzzle length distance both made it about 60yds to the west side of the property where they got a second round for their efforts, the third one made a hard 90º out of the gap and got two for the effort and made it into the trees behind the trap.

From my previous post discussing the 6 ARC. They busted the 14ga galvanized electric fence wire that was wrapped around the T-Post in 3 places, top, middle and bottom. Panels were inside the T-posts and overlapped at each post.

View attachment 524080
View attachment 524081View attachment 524082View attachment 524083
View attachment 524084View attachment 524085View attachment 524087View attachment 524088
Thanks for the post. Thanks for all the great pictures!

Well sir they can take below zero, snow and ice. Any of you guys ever see a grass/thatch hut these hog build for shelter? Trappers are catching 40-50 in a single drop on cell traps, helo's are shooting 100's per flight, how would you measure this problem. If you are raising anything for a profit that's livestock, exotics, crops, the hogs will eat you out of business. I have personally seen at a corn feeder a boar come out of the tall grass and take after an axis doe that was eating corn and 15 minutes later doe came circling back by running full out, mouth open and tongue hanging out and boar steadily gaining ground. This was on a property where I was working and this feeder was in front of the house and set for lunch time entertainment. They will destroy the turkey populations by wrecking out the nest and eating the eggs, they eat fawns, lambs, goats and I suspect calves as well plus wreck out the fence to get in. I road on a combine cutting milo a few years back in DHanis Texas and in the middle of the field there were acres of nada, just rough plowed earth. You cant afford to loose 25% of a field crop nor 1/2 of a herd of anything. I was daylight calling on a place on the Seco and heard somthing on my left and it was a 200# class black Russian boar sneakin up on me at 20'. They are predators no doubt. They are eatable and no season, feed the hungry.
Thank you.

The only thing inferior in a pigs senses are their eyesight. They have excellent hearing and a sense of smell to rival most dogs, but they are as blind as Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder.

Our family farm has been in the family approaching 130yrs. My great grandfather settled the place. In the mid to late 90s I told my dad that I was certain we had wild pigs in the river bottom pecan orchard. His response at the time was, I lived on this farm for close 60yrs and I have never seen a wild pig. Our property butted up to a 3500ish acres government piece of property and the north end of a major lake. I set up cameras, the old 35mm film ones, nothing. I put out bait, nothing. I even bought some of best you could afford at the time Gen 1 night vision, nothing. I decided to sit in the deer blind, even slept in it in hopes of figuring out what was eating the corn and sweet feed. Took about 3 - 4 nights and I finally shot a boar. I tried to drag it with my 4 wheeler, no dice. I finally went and got the front end loader and hauled it to the house. I showed my dad and his first words out of his mouth were, can you find me a revolver to carry when I go fishing. I killed a ton of pigs that year, I had recovered upwards of 90, shot 1/2 as many more and they still were as thick as thieves. I had Hamilton Meat Market process a ton of them, ended up buying 2 chest freezers for the meat. I gave away hundreds of pounds and even traded the processing fees for some of the donated sausage. The most impressive were two sows I shot and I ended up with 386lbs of ground breakfast sausage out of those 2. I was excited about it for about 2 months and then it got old quick. I refuse to eat them and I kill everyone I get a chance to.

You can have them in an area and when you realize what to actually look for, it can be very subtle at times, depending on what they are foraging on, it is too late.
Real life experience spoken here.... Listen up folks..... they are worse than wolves....Only answer is an S-90 Huey with 4 door gunners and bounties paid,,,

If we put a decent bounty on ferrel hogs, you would start to see the situation change. I don't know if anything short of a good bounty would do it.
Texas did that. Had county competitions to see who could kill and trap the most.

Bounty on each pig too if I remember correctly

We also sell them here. The prices fluctuate. When prices are up, big ones bring good money.

Texas in particular seems to have the worst of the pig problem. I was hunting in east Tennessee earlier this year and saw significant signs of rooting in fields, but never encountered one while hunting. It's probably just a matter of time before they invade in my area. For now I have a big enough problem with Armadillos.

What a poor writing article. Michigan does not have a problem. I actively search and ask everyone and not a soul has seen or killed one. Of course a few are here but nothing that could be called a problem.
If you have some it won't take long to have a bunch especially in ag areas with abundant food. The only upside is good hunting year around.