Stubborn Pigs

flowhnun63

Bloody feral Pigs are becoming a real pain.
We have a small creek that feeds our water to our home and my neighbors batch (who does not live here luckily)

these Pigs start using the creek and silt then comes down the line etc etc
We are into dry conditions already and I have managed to shot 3 in last month - but want something else to assist.

Does anyone have or know of leg hold traps that some early day Deer captures used to trap Deer
They are a plate trip with snare that is spring loaded into a 1" alkathene pipe and will hold a pig n problem.

Any other suggestion appreciated - but don't mention dogs - I have a good chap with good dogs but its now just to hot.
Its 90% sows with litters too - and good dogs will go right past them (at least they should if they are any good - which of course every pig hunter says they have the best.

I have used simple "lasso" type wire snares before. Rode all the fence rows on the property and put them on all crossings. It's only for a very short term though... put them out in the afternoon and ride around and check them right after dark. It'll hold a hog in place just long enough to shoot him when you approach. I think it's borderline unethical to leave them out longer than that though, because you will inevitably snare a deer if you're not careful.

Snares or a corral trap is what I have used. Need to make the bait 'hog ready' so you don't snare a non target animal. Even then there is still a risk. Getting a ****ed off 10pt out of a hog trap is no fun at all.

Legholds and snares are incredibly brutal and gruesome and will catch unintended critters, especially deer. They may also not be legal in your area.

Google Texas Hog Traps and you'll see all sorts of types of cage type live traps that work very well and if you leave some food and water in them you don't even have to check them every day.

Pigs are pigs but even they deserve a humane death if we're going to kill them.

I typically use snares but there are lots you could learn from other sites. You can even go to youtube and see some vids uploaded there.

I hunted the Rocksprings area in central Texas. The guy on the next ranch used snares attached to big logs. All of the hogs I seen had the snare on his snout. Never seen one choked by a snare.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.