Update from Hodgdon Powder Company - Jan 12th

Drjones65

An update as of this afternoon.

POWDER UPDATE 2023

QUICK SUMMARY: In 2023, we anticipate powder availability to return to Pre-COVID conditions. Our powders will be readily available on dealer shelves and for purchase on our website. While demand has remained at a record high for now nearly 3 years, we look forward to closing the gap between demand and supply and thank you for your patience.

WILL ALL YOUR POWDERS BE READILY AVAILABLE?
While there are some exceptions such as our Enduron and Trail Boss powders, the majority of our powders will be easily located via various retailers.

WHY CAN'T HODGDON MAKE MORE POWDER?
We wish it were that simple - what we have experienced since 2020 is a demand issue and not a supply issue. The reality is we are doing everything possible to maximize shipments to our customers, including running overtime in production, packaging and shipping areas and working with our shipping partners to add new inbound and outbound shipping options. During the past 3 years, we broke record after record for powder shipments. We learned what worked best in terms of distribution and will continue to maximize all efforts to maintain this high level of shipping.

WILL HODGDON BUILD ANOTHER PLANT TO KEEP UP WITH FUTURE SPIKES IN DEMAND?
A new powder production facility would require an investment far beyond our finances and no financial institution would finance this type of building project. While the past 3 years of demand appears to be different from demand spikes in the last 20 years, the "normal" powder demand for the U.S. would not support an additional manufacturing plant.

WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS?
Our focus is the handloading enthusiast. Yes, we sell some powder to strategic, mostly smaller ammunition manufacturers, but that is a small part of our business. The heart of our business is smokeless powder for the handloading enthusiast. Every day, we receive calls from potential OEM customers who are looking for powder to load in ammunition. Every day, we politely decline this new business so we can focus on our long-term customers and sales channels and most importantly, our costumers who have supported us for decades.

From what I see, I think they have been doing a good job of catching up. It wasn't long ago that Powder Valley was literally out of powder. Today there are more varieties of powder, including the Hodgdon line, than I've seen in a long time. It took almost 2 years to find any quantity of Varget, and now it's listed there as "in stock" every day. I'll be happy when 8 lb jugs of H1000 coming rolling down the line again.

So nothing I read really caught my attention on how we're going to get back to pre-pandemic inventories
People will stop buying powder and buy other things. The Fed will probably still push a 50 basis point bump through again after the numbers that dropped this week, and more pain is still coming. At $45/lb for powder versus the rising cost of gas, groceries, housing, taxes, etx - it'll all shake out in the end.

SRP primers are in stock at half the places I checked today. Even that pinch is ending.

EGGS went from .69 per dozen to $4.00 per dozen most everywhere.

$7.00 per dozen in California.

41 million chickens died due to bird flu.

We have had avian flu in the primer market too. All the primer hens keeled over and died. Raised the prices by double and triple.🙂

While I would love them to build another facility, I understand the financing side of it.
I'm surprised they didn't bring up shipping facilities handling limitations 'for personal use explosives' that limit distribution, especially up to Canada (at least we get some EURO stuff up here.... At 2x the price).
Vihtavuori (SP?) had a handling limitation both inbount and outbound at the ports which kept prices high. They literally couldn't ship any more.

Majority of ammo manufactures and Hodgdon that use ball powders, come mostly from St Marks,division of General Dynamics.Hodgdon has powder made in multiple countries.Even small commercial reloaders use cannister powders from St.Marks.I'm not sure what all Hodgdon actually do manufacture,but I do know Pyrodex is made by Hodgdon in Herington,Ks.where there storage and packaging of other powders are.It's on or under an old B17 training air base,parts are undergound. I made truck deliveries there in the past, couple times a week.

Last edited:
From what I see, I think they have been doing a good job of catching up. It wasn't long ago that Powder Valley was literally out of powder. Today there are more varieties of powder, including the Hodgdon line, than I've seen in a long time. It took almost 2 years to find any quantity of Varget, and now it's listed there as "in stock" every day. I'll be happy when 8 lb jugs of H1000 coming rolling down the line again

Just seen over 20, 1lb cans and a couple 8lb jugs at the LGS yesterday. They had 1lb cans a month ago and they sat there for weeks....

Well, looking for some brass for a member here.Cans of Hodgdon extruded powder,Australia,Canada,Scotland( countries control by the Crown, not good) and I remember some cans were from swissland or swedeland.I have a can of AA2520 made in Isreal.Still have a large metal can,11lbs of Bruce's "old" 4831 he pedel in this area, in old WW 760 cans,still smells good,velocity was slow 35 years ago,time to feritilize.Anyhow,Hodgdon was,is a repackager,I would still stock up on powder and primers,primers last for ever.Our powder chain supplies have to may steps to get to your door.General Dynamics is part of the military complex, they could turn of the supply off like a light switch.Powder is old school tech now.Cold out, may burn FJB in the frost with some 70+ year old powder.