Update from Hodgdon Powder Company - Jan 12th

If what they say is true, setting records for production and shipping, then the only answer is the distributors are selling out the back door to their friends, you have a online seller that calls themselves "powder valley " and for more then two years only till just recently, they have had no powder except for the stuff no one uses, there is something we're not being told by someone.

If what they say is true, setting records for production and shipping, then the only answer is the distributors are selling out the back door to their friends, you have a online seller that calls themselves "powder valley " and for more then two years only till just recently, they have had no powder except for the stuff no one uses, there is something we're not being told by someone.
Or more people may be buying. Hard to fathom....

The Ballistic Assistant.com
Has all the information on powders, has one the best and biggest powder burn rate charts.
Just found the link at American reloading,they have a bunch of ball pulldown powders from 243 and 28 nosler

With a media release like that hodgdon need to go into politics talk about BS .
As far as I know all of their single based stick powders like 4227 4198 varget H4350 all the way up to H50BMG are made here in Australia .
And the only thing the Mulwala factory has done for production is cease making all their double based fast powders for pistols and trail boss .

They didn't address price at all.
What can they say? Inflation? Demand? In any market....the price ultimately is dictated by the demand. Period. If they dropped their price to $1 a pound - they demand is SO high ( panic buying over the last 3 years...) that the distribution chain would just pump the price up to match the demand. When demand slows....prices will settle back - a little. Just think about the price of gasoline when it climbs, and then comes back down - some.....but not as cheap as before he price climb.

Or more people may be buying. Hard to fathom....
I think that the hoarders have had a much more direct effect on demand than many realize. I had a pretty big stock of it here before COVID and have bought very little since. My best advice is stock up when demand and prices are low and quit complaining. That goes for many products not just relating to reloading and shooting.

If Trump or DeSantis wins the next presidential election then prices should drop significantly shortly thereafter. Right now panic buying is still somewhat in effect but thankfully it's slowing down.

Historical shortages and upward price surges coincide with politics, particularly presidential elections.

Keep yer' powder dry pilgrim....

I don't pretend to know anything of relevance other than the following-

St. Marks powder is used at our semi-local manufacturing facility.

IDK how Hodgdon plays into that overall circle but the St. Mark Canisters are very large ,( something like a 20 gallon cylindrical canister), in comparison to anything I've ever seen with IMR, Hogdgdon, Alliant, or any other brand of reloading powder.

It concerns me knowing who owns St. Marks but I'll leave that discussion for another day.

I think that the hoarders have had a much more direct effect on demand than many realize. I had a pretty big stock of it here before COVID and have bought very little since. My best advice is stock up when demand and prices are low and quit complaining. That goes for many products not just relating to reloading and shooting.

If Trump or DeSantis wins the next presidential election then prices should drop significantly shortly thereafter. Right now panic buying is still somewhat in effect but thankfully it's slowing down.

Historical shortages and upward price surges coincide with politics, particularly presidential elections.

Keep yer' powder dry pilgrim....
If we reload & are prudent, we are by default hoarders.

An update as of this afternoon.

POWDER UPDATE 2023

QUICK SUMMARY: In 2023, we anticipate powder availability to return to Pre-COVID conditions. Our powders will be readily available on dealer shelves and for purchase on our website. While demand has remained at a record high for now nearly 3 years, we look forward to closing the gap between demand and supply and thank you for your patience.

WILL ALL YOUR POWDERS BE READILY AVAILABLE?
While there are some exceptions such as our Enduron and Trail Boss powders, the majority of our powders will be easily located via various retailers.

WHY CAN'T HODGDON MAKE MORE POWDER?
We wish it were that simple - what we have experienced since 2020 is a demand issue and not a supply issue. The reality is we are doing everything possible to maximize shipments to our customers, including running overtime in production, packaging and shipping areas and working with our shipping partners to add new inbound and outbound shipping options. During the past 3 years, we broke record after record for powder shipments. We learned what worked best in terms of distribution and will continue to maximize all efforts to maintain this high level of shipping.

WILL HODGDON BUILD ANOTHER PLANT TO KEEP UP WITH FUTURE SPIKES IN DEMAND?
A new powder production facility would require an investment far beyond our finances and no financial institution would finance this type of building project. While the past 3 years of demand appears to be different from demand spikes in the last 20 years, the "normal" powder demand for the U.S. would not support an additional manufacturing plant.

WHY IS HODGDON SELLING POWDER TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS?
Our focus is the handloading enthusiast. Yes, we sell some powder to strategic, mostly smaller ammunition manufacturers, but that is a small part of our business. The heart of our business is smokeless powder for the handloading enthusiast. Every day, we receive calls from potential OEM customers who are looking for powder to load in ammunition. Every day, we politely decline this new business so we can focus on our long-term customers and sales channels and most importantly, our costumers who have supported us for decades.
I hope we can see some more Alliant products hitting the shelves also. What is the deal with Enduron powders...discontinued?

Perhaps because it is a sensitive subject, and if they show a significant price increase, they will be ridiculed, justifiable or not, just like what Defiance went through lately.

I haven't followed the defiance ordeal, but yes I think you're right they probably just didn't want to end up putting their foot in their mouth.

Recent Posts