United Airlines Oversized Fees for Firearms...?

Full Curl

Does anybody have any experience flying on United Airlines with a rifle in an overSIZED case? I've flown with rifles a handful of times and understand the checked baggage and TSA process but I've never flown on United. I usually pack my rifle in a soft case then put it in a locked golf bag hard case with other gear and clothing which reduces my total number of bags. Problem is my locked hard case is larger than their 62 inch liner allowed maximum (L + W + H), it's 75 inches. Their fee for an oversized bag is $200 each way, I'm not paying that. On Delta since it's a firearm, and they have a oversized fee exemption for firearms, they waive the oversized fee for me and it has worked great numerous times... similar to what it would be flying with a fishing pole, skis, or a snowboard, I wouldn't think all those folks are paying big fees each way flying that stuff on any airline...?? I've called United customer service and can't get a straight answer. Their reps have no clue. I've tried emailing them to get something in writing and no reply. I could go to the ticket counter at the actual airport head of my trip and ask them but do I even trust that? Show up at 5:00am with all my gear and rifle to check in and leave it to chance whether they charge me the $200 or not??

Driving is really not an option. I know I'm getting a little cranky here, but man dealing with the airlines and getting straight answers seems to be almost impossible these days.

I guess the point of this post is has anybody recently flown on United Airlines with a firearm in a case that's overSIZED (not over weight) and were you charged the $200 oversized fee?

Thanks!

My buddy and I had to pay 175.00 each way to Hawaii on United. Alaska Air and American both charged us normal baggage fees last time.

Does anybody have any experience flying on United Airlines with a rifle in an overSIZED case? I've flown with rifles a handful of times and understand the checked baggage and TSA process but I've never flown on United. I usually pack my rifle in a soft case then put it in a locked golf bag hard case with other gear and clothing which reduces my total number of bags. Problem is my locked hard case is larger than their 62 inch liner allowed maximum (L + W + H), it's 75 inches. Their fee for an oversized bag is $200 each way, I'm not paying that. On Delta since it's a firearm, and they have a oversized fee exemption for firearms, they waive the oversized fee for me and it has worked great numerous times... similar to what it would be flying with a fishing pole, skis, or a snowboard, I wouldn't think all those folks are paying big fees each way flying that stuff on any airline...?? I've called United customer service and can't get a straight answer. Their reps have no clue. I've tried emailing them to get something in writing and no reply. I could go to the ticket counter at the actual airport head of my trip and ask them but do I even trust that? Show up at 5:00am with all my gear and rifle to check in and leave it to chance whether they charge me the $200 or not??

Driving is really not an option. I know I'm getting a little cranky here, but man dealing with the airlines and getting straight answers seems to be almost impossible these days.

I guess the point of this post is has anybody recently flown on United Airlines with a firearm in a case that's overSIZED (not over weight) and were you charged the $200 oversized fee?

Thanks!
You could ship the rifle fed ex or another shipper if you have some one on the other end that would take care of it.That would alot cheaper.

I flew United last year to Wyoming and paid standard bag fees. If I recall it was 30$ for one and 40$ for the other (Gun case).

Disregard, just reread your post with the length of your case (75").

I just flew Delta to Florida and what i do is put an extra 1000 dollars insurance on each gun I travel with. I know bags are insured foe $2500 per person but Delta is supposed to have the bags hand carried when extra insurance is placed on them. When I checked in they did hold the bag for a person to pick it up. They also place a sticker on the outside letting the handlers know the bag should not be put on the conveyor belt with the regular baggage but should be brought to the office. Most of the time they just put the bag on the conveyor belt but sometimes they bring it to the baggage claim office. I do not fly with a "good" or expensive gun. I take my "airline" gun - a Glock 23 or Ruger GP100 3 1/2" barrel or both.

You could ship the rifle fed ex or another shipper if you have some one on the other end that would take care of it.That would alot cheaper.

I can't do that without an FFL on the other end and then would need and FFL back at home to return ship it to. Paying the $25 transfer fee would be fine but I don't want to risk any approval process hold up. Does anybody use this process?

I just flew Delta to Florida and what i do is put an extra 1000 dollars insurance on each gun I travel with. I know bags are insured foe $2500 per person but Delta is supposed to have the bags hand carried when extra insurance is placed on them. When I checked in they did hold the bag for a person to pick it up. They also place a sticker on the outside letting the handlers know the bag should not be put on the conveyor belt with the regular baggage but should be brought to the office. Most of the time they just put the bag on the conveyor belt but sometimes they bring it to the baggage claim office. I do not fly with a "good" or expensive gun. I take my "airline" gun - a Glock 23 or Ruger GP100 3 1/2" barrel or both.

Interesting. Never knew this was an option. I'm not taking a high end rifle either, just a hunting stick. I've never had handling problems before but this is good to know. Thanks.

I just looked at it myself and it appeared to me as it was $200 round trip. Still a large sum...

I can't find on their website where it says $200 is for both ways (round) trip but I know when I've been charged fees in the past by all the airlines, it's for that way only and I pay it on the way back too when it comes to oversized and/or overweight.
dd.jpg

So I get this from United customer service...

"The maximum exterior dimension (length + width + height) of standard checked baggage is 62 inches (158 cm), including handles and wheels. The oversize fees will apply."

Over the weekend I physically drove to the airport and brought my case in with me and talked with the United ticket counter. The rep was super cool and told me no problem, no oversized fees will apply at all. They said the oversized fees are for non-speciality baggage and my item would be consider sporting equipment. Go figure.

So I'm going to try it and take the risk in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll get charged one way and not the other?? Airlines... a necessary evil.

I can't do that without an FFL on the other end and then would need and FFL back at home to return ship it to. Paying the $25 transfer fee would be fine but I don't want to risk any approval process hold up. Does anybody use this process?
why do you need an ffl to ship to yourself? -- you are not transferring ownership or selling the rifle, just shipping it to yourself

why do you need an ffl to ship to yourself? -- you are not transferring ownership or selling the rifle, just shipping it to yourself

I guess I'm not sure, a good question. Anybody know? Let's say I live in Iowa and I ship the rifle addressed to myself to an address in Arizona and then I pick it up when I get to Arizona for my hunt and do the same at the end of my hunt and ship it from Arizona back to myself at my home address in Iowa?

As stated under #6 in the ATF link below...

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

Does anybody do this for hunting trips? This would be far cheaper than dealing with the airlines and all the hassle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.