American Airlines “lost” my rifle

Airtags will only keep you updated on last known location where a bluetooth connection was active, once that connection is broken, all bets are off.

You would be better off with a burner phone with something like Life 360 locator/tracker app inside an expensive rifle case.
That's the problem I've heard where people like them and then other people say a waste of time I was thinking about them on a dogs collar I was shooting my rifle and my wife's dog is scared of loud noises I was a quarter mile away I got back to the house her dog was gone not to be found 2 days later I was coyote hunting seen something out of place in a pasture got my binoculars damned if it wasn't her dog 8 miles from our house I figured coyotes had got her but I was tickled saved me a divorce. David

So it uses a piggy backing tech on Bluetooth, so in the country not nearly as affective as there aren't very many devices. In a city it's very affective l. Flyinh to Hawaii it would work fine because as soon as it found another blue tooth device once you landed it could piggy back off you would have it's location. We have used it on luggage without any issues and dogs. But we currently live in a city so the dog is gtg. All she has to do is walk past a device with Bluetooth that's Apple.

So it uses a piggy backing tech on Bluetooth, so in the country not nearly as affective as there aren't very many devices. In a city it's very affective l. Flyinh to Hawaii it would work fine because as soon as it found another blue tooth device once you landed it could piggy back off you would have it's location. We have used it on luggage without any issues and dogs. But we currently live in a city so the dog is gtg. All she has to do is walk past a device with Bluetooth that's Apple.
Thank you for explaining that around here no one I new could tell me anything about how they worked if I lived where it would work then I would have to figure out my blue tooth on my phone glad I'm better at reloading or I would be in trouble. David

I don't see it piggybacking off of any device other than those who have granted permission, that is a legal and critically dangerous situation. I know I wouldn't want my iPhone allowing any pass thru device to use my Bluetooth or even have access to my devices, Apple or not, much like the chips that you have to protect with RIFD blocking wallets, to much potential for nefarious activities. Criminals would find a way to exploit it.

I don't see it piggybacking off of any device other than those who have granted permission, that is a legal and critically dangerous situation. I know I wouldn't want my iPhone allowing any pass thru device to use my Bluetooth or even have access to my devices, Apple or not, much like the chips that you have to protect with RIFD blocking wallets, to much potential for nefarious activities. Criminals would find a way to exploit it.

Well, I watched that airtags video, they will use other's apple devices, so this sounds like a solid plan. I can't say that it is reassuring that a pass thru device can connect to my phone though.

Well, I watched that airtags video, they will use other's apple devices, so this sounds like a solid plan. I can't say that it is reassuring that a pass thru device can connect to my phone though.
They now make an app (Tracker Detect?) for Android, so AirTags work with that platform too.

I can see it being useful especially in airports, where there are hundreds of thousands of Apple products at all times, between staff and travelers. Frankly, a denser "network" than most other types (Wi-Fi, cell, Sat). Might not help at deer camp or in the Yukon, but that's not my area of concern, in transit is.

Recent Posts